Mercury announced its first electric outboard

You don't need to worry about being the guinea pig on a dumb little electric motor. It's not new technology whatsoever. There might be some wierd functions that are new to the product, however that's it.

What you do have to consider is battery power. I know lots of you dream of lithium batteries in your boats, however I'm here to tell you it's a bad idea. I know there's all this technology in there this and that but let me ask you this. Anyone here ever seen a lithium battery explode ? I have it's not nice. A lithium battery that size would blow the stern right off a boat 100 percent. If in any wierd situation it did short out or over charge or wrong voltage or whatever the situation might be. Not nice.
Just finishing killing 30 minutes on youtube watching batteries explode. 😮

Various types of electric powered boats will certainly become realistic, just not right now for most of us due to current battery limitations.

It's similar to electric vehicles, especially tow vehicles. Electric trucks and SUV's are fine right now without a trailer in tow, but add 5,000-15,000 pounds and your range drops to 25-50%. Fine for heading from home to a local boat ramp, but forget about towing for a couple of hours. Truck salesmen have given me various statements:
- It might work for you, but I don't recommend it as a tow vehicle.
- Oh, no, don't do it; you won't be happy.
- Nope, it won't work. How about our shiny new hybrids?

FD

Brings a whole new set of risks....not only do you have to worry about taking on water but now you are sinking and the vessel is exploding as a result. The chances of survival increase when you can stay with the stricken vessel.

guys will be putting the hammer down and splitting their transoms. better get some torque curve built in, maybe they already have it. a 150 with the torque of a 300? that would be interesting on mid 90's trophy.

Back