McKnight No.6 Bronze Spoons

High Time

Crew Member
Found these recently in new ,unused condition but a bit tarnished. A little elbow grease and they came to life.
Plan on towing them around a bit this year and wondered if they brought back any memories or stories
Mc-Knight-No-6-Bronze-Spoons.jpg
[/url]free image service[/IMG] free image service

Found these recently in new ,unused condition but a bit tarnished. A little elbow grease and they came to life.
Plan on towing them around a bit this year and wondered if they brought back any memories or stories
Mc-Knight-No-6-Bronze-Spoons.jpg
[/url]free image service[/IMG] free image service
Top spoon for up north we used to run just those spoons no flasher gear on the commercial boat but limited success down south

nice looking spoons. i just picked up some #5 wonder spoons. What do you use to make them all shiny again?

Hi DE18, If the spoons are heavily tarnished I usually soak them for about an hour in a dish of white vinegar and then remove most of the tarnish with very fine steel wool. Give them a rinse and then I use Flitz metal polish which you wipe on sparingly and while still damp polish off with a soft cloth or similar paper towelling. Repeat the Flitz 2 or 3 times and they usually come up great.

I had a killer one of of those spoons in the Charlottes.
The guy who gave it to me, the locally famous “Terry” at the head of Rennel sound, told me to keep it safe as the factory that made them burned down and you couldn’t get them anymore. I still have it.

Killer Spoon....that Spoon has caught more Chinooks than any modern crap produced today. Any seasoned old salt troller will tell you that Spoon Rocks! I have about 50 of those in brass, 1/2 1/2, Copper, etc. When the going got tough... I have seen it’s magic!

Now old stuff doesn’t work as well because there is f’all to fish for...a lot of the bait is small, and fish are small.

That’s a great Spoon....and may you be lucky enough to fish and watch it produce.

Personally I’m not very optimistic about our fisheries.... sad.

I had a couple of copper sand lance spoons kicking around in my tackle box. The spoons were quite tarnished but one day I tied one on anyways. The salt water scrubbed the spoons clean and I was rewarded with a nice spring. After a few hours out of the water the spoon lost all its luster again.

I had a couple of copper sand lance spoons kicking around in my tackle box. The spoons were quite tarnished but one day I tied one on anyways. The salt water scrubbed the spoons clean and I was rewarded with a nice spring. After a few hours out of the water the spoon lost all its luster again.
Have to use black iron hooks on these spoons so the hook becomes the sacrificial metal. After coming out of salt water they need to live in a solution of fresh water and hydratone.

As an old timer I believe they are the same as the old Kripple K spoons the sports fisherman used only we commercial guys called them McKnight.

Back