Lucky louie plugs

roughly what would this lot of 8 plugs be worth along with 3 boxes?

This may sound strange, but I am of no help to you regarding prices for those plugs at all, simply because I have never bought any, even though I have numerous, all gifts.

I "suffer" from an embarrassment of riches and through no fault of my own have been blessed with wacky friends who give me stuff, the most generous having been Lin Antonelli, one of the finest women I know and an unsung figure locally. IMHO

She gifted me with rods, reels, spoons and plugs, mostly from Elmer Davis's collection originally, so I have never needed to buy anything other than line to go Tyee rowing.

Another lifelong friend bought 18 plugs at a yard sale in Sechelt, all from a retired commercial guy and many marked with a pencil as to how good they were, then sent them to me as I'd done a big favour for his son earlier.

I've been giving them away and slowly trying more of my Lucky Louies in the pool, but when you've had 10 strikes between two plugs it's hard to stop towing them to try others.

Besides, it's such a capricious fishery that sometimes the most experienced rowers spending hours out there using tried and true gear and sitting exactly where they want to get skunked, Tyee-wise that is.

By that I mean nothing over 30 as they often get many unders. I think RK has over 20 unders since his last Tyee and I recall Paul Curtis laughing at Randy when he heard that, because he (Paul) has boated 30 some odd since his last Tyee.

But I digress, and apologize for being of no help. I just needed to practise typing. LOL

Take care.

I have wondered why one of the current plug manufactures such as Tomic does not simply clone the plastic Louie shovel nose plug. One would think there would not be a patent issue as the original manufactures are not around anymore. I know Tomic came out with their tubby plug series that I understand are designed to work at slower speeds but they are really not the same, don't work as well in the pool or carry the same status as the shovel nose. I know developing and putting into production a new plastic injection mold is expensive so perhaps that is the reason for what may be a small market. I wonder if someone still has the original Plastic Louie shovel nose injection molds? Between the Tyee club and ocean Kayak fishing which is beginning to take off, perhaps there is more demand than they think.

Unfortunately the shovel nose molds disappeared even before the Maxwell's (Grizzly) bought the company from Bill Minser. The current cost to create a new a mold would be at the minimum somewhere between $12,000 and $20,000+ and a Louie would require two(1 head,1 body). The shovels were originally produced as a commercial trolling plug and did not perform well, so therefore were not produced for any length of time (hence their being somewhat scarce) It was a happy coincidence that they worked incredibly well as a row boat plug in the tyee pool and other than collectors that is where the demand is for them. Sadly the market is so limited it would be cost prohibitive to do. That being said I have a couple of locally (Campbell River) made shovel copies that are beautiful to the eye and hope to have a chance to try them someday.

Back