Lowrance HDS advice needed

Wondermur

Crew Member
Well it looks like our 9” HDS GEN 2 Touch has been stolen from our boat. I noticed the cuddy was turned upside down a couple of weeks ago and wasn’t sure if the Lowrance had been stolen or if it was stored at home. Sadly it was taken. :-(
Still working out what other stuff may have been taken also.
So now what do we do? I have 4 questions:
1. Should we claim insurance? Have never claimed anything in the 12 years of boat insurance.
2. Does anyone have something equivalent or better to sell us that will just plug in? Used or new.
3. We will need a new Lowrance card also. We had a Lowrance gold+ card I think but that has all changed too. What should we get?
4. Needs to be compatible with the Lowrance autopilot we put in last season.

What would you do to make it as good or better? We wouldn’t want to go smaller than 9”

Appreciate the advice!

Post a stolen alert on the Facebook groups locally and the fishing boat groups.

I'd go for a Lowrance Carbon 9 or FS 9. Call Harbour Chandlers and tell them what happened they often have display or open box and sell the chips too.
Thanks Kaelc.
Will these units plug straight into our existing cords.? That would be good.

We also run a seperate iPad with Navionics on it.

Yeah, I think they swap right in. Same power cord, transducer etc. If your 9 was a touch screen I think the brackets are the same. I've had gen 2,3 and Carbons now. The carbon and 3 I think can do wireless with you iPad.
Ok and then the Elite FS is more basic with no wifi?
We only have a 21 ft boat single helm so not sure how useful wifi would be for us?

cheers.

I’ll put a wanted ad up on the buy sell thread here and see if anyone has something that could work. But I imagine the newer stuff will need to be from a retail shop.

Ok and then the Elite FS is more basic with no wifi?
We only have a 21 ft boat single helm so not sure how useful wifi would be for us?

cheers.
Wifi will just allow you to replicate your sounder on your iPad, I've never done it as I have two screens one I move to the rear to steer from the autopilot by the rods.

Lots of guys upgrade. Put a wanted add here and on Facebook. They come up on marketplace and the big hummingbird Lowrance fishing electronics group. Here's one https://www.russellmarineproducts.com/product-p/2-g39-u.htm

Well it looks like our 9” HDS GEN 2 Touch has been stolen from our boat. I noticed the cuddy was turned upside down a couple of weeks ago and wasn’t sure if the Lowrance had been stolen or if it was stored at home. Sadly it was taken. :-(
Still working out what other stuff may have been taken also.
So now what do we do? I have 4 questions:
1. Should we claim insurance? Have never claimed anything in the 12 years of boat insurance.
2. Does anyone have something equivalent or better to sell us that will just plug in? Used or new.
3. We will need a new Lowrance card also. We had a Lowrance gold+ card I think but that has all changed too. What should we get?
4. Needs to be compatible with the Lowrance autopilot we put in last season.

What would you do to make it as good or better? We wouldn’t want to go smaller than 9”

Appreciate the advice!
That really sucks when some scum rip you off. You’ll want to find out if anything else was taken first. Then find out what your deductible is for a theft, typically $500-$1000. Since a new replacement cost would be about $3k it might be worth it to go through insurance, but depending on your carrier it might increase your rates. Highly doubt it with just one minor claim but you never know with insurance companies. Any lowrance unit from the hds gen 2 to current will plug right in and run with the autopilot. You can pickup an old stock carbon 9 for $1500 from chandler. I was going to but then saw bass pro was blowing them out for less.

Back