Lower Island Squid fishing?

hbpaints

Crew Member
Just looking to have some fun, and the kids are asking about going squid fishing somewhere mid/south island...

Any ideas on potential locations? We're located in the Duncan Area, but willing to travel to get them some action... lol
Or are we looking at the wrong season?

Thanks guys...

We used to catch them at night off the government dock at maple bay but I haven’t been able to find them anymore and can’t remember what time of year it was

Is there squid in the harbour already? I'll be there this for a week starting Saturday.
Not sure about the harbor but they are showing up in the usual areas.

Some sun to trigger the plankton bloom would be helpful. Can’t get there personally until the 3rd week of June.

Found this ink outline on a fresh concrete patch on the docks this morning. Looks like there around in comox

Attachments

• A39D9EC3-9F77-45D2-874D-763C87108701.jpeg
    A39D9EC3-9F77-45D2-874D-763C87108701.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 113
I had no idea what I was looking at when I saw a crazy squid show at Salt Spring, Canada Day long weekend about 6 years ago. Right at the government dock, under the lights. Didn't even realize you could catch them at the time.

Just looking to have some fun, and the kids are asking about going squid fishing somewhere mid/south island...

Any ideas on potential locations? We're located in the Duncan Area, but willing to travel to get them some action... lol
Or are we looking at the wrong season?

Thanks guys...
I used to take my kids to fish squids at Maple Bay dock.
It was after dark, under the lights at the dock.
Since then, I have no experience. the lights have been replaced ( I believe the lights were an attractant) and the most important thing was that it ended at the full moon in May.
Research is important. Take a jig or two down and try after dark. Let us know.

Anyone catch a humboldt? I caught a 40lb halibut a few years ago in Rupert that puked up half of one on my deck.

I got a bucket of them in Sooke a few years back ,,, right in the bay by FRASER island
saw a big ball of them ,, scooped them in a small net ,,,, be out to sooke 1000 times never seen before or again

I got a bucket of them in Sooke a few years back ,,, right in the bay by FRASER island
saw a big ball of them ,, scooped them in a small net ,,,, be out to sooke 1000 times never seen before or again
I've snagged them a few times in Becher while jigging for salmon over the last couple o' years. I don't know how to differentiate them from other bait on the sounder. Bigger, maybe?

There seems to be runs that show up in Sidney off the pier and james island. Only reason I know is some Filipino in-laws go, but only at night. I haven't figured out the timing/indicators yet but my kid and wife want to fish for squid too

Back