Looking for recommendations on a handheld gps/radio

Rain City

Crew Member
Heading to Bamfield. I'd like to put a go-bag together to feel better about heading offshore. Any suggestions?

I have an Icom hand held that has DSC and allowed me to program in a personal MMSI number.
I do not see that one is still available.
The battery life is beyond outstanding.
I bought it 7 years ago and it is still awesome.
The DSC function really gives me peace of mind.

I have an Icom hand held that has DSC and allowed me to program in a personal MMSI number.
I do not see that one is still available.
The battery life is beyond outstanding.
I bought it 7 years ago and it is still awesome.
The DSC function really gives me peace of mind.
Sounds cool, but I have zero knowledge of what's what with these things.

Sounds cool, but I have zero knowledge of what's what with these things.
Standard Horizon has the HX850S, which floats, GPS, good battery life and DSC. Mines still solid after probably 6 years. You really need the GPS and DCS built in when you're floating around, as CG can then locate you. Hippa has one so you could ask him

Standard Horizon has the HX850S, which floats, GPS, good battery life and DSC. Mines still solid after probably 6 years. You really need the GPS and DCS built in when you're floating around, as CG can then locate you. Hippa has one so you could ask him
Besides, its always a good idea to carry a charged up hand-held in addition to a built-in VHS, because if your batteries are swamped, your onboard radio is dead. That and a wetsuit, or survival suit, in case you're forced to go for a swim.

I bring an InReach Explorer with me as well. Has SOS, GPS, etc.. Not really boat specific but it's a secondary piece of mind and you would get use out of it on hunting/hiking trips. You can text the wife when you don't have cell service.

Back