Looking for a basic low profile prawning setup

yakoun

I’m looking for suggestions for a basic, cost effective setup that doesn’t take up much space. Just for a couple of traps to give it a try. I don’t have a lot of space in my 14’ aluminum, in my truck or at home for big traps. For crabbing, we have a couple of Danielson folding traps that came with everything needed to use them minus the bait. They are clearly not the best, but put a few crabs on the table the 1 or two days a year we set them - and then slide two dimensionally behind a bunch of boxes until the following year. Looking for the prawn trap equivalent if it exists…

I’m looking for suggestions for a basic, cost effective setup that doesn’t take up much space. Just for a couple of traps to give it a try. I don’t have a lot of space in my 14’ aluminum, in my truck or at home for big traps. For crabbing, we have a couple of Danielson folding traps that came with everything needed to use them minus the bait. They are clearly not the best, but put a few crabs on the table the 1 or two days a year we set them - and then slide two dimensionally behind a bunch of boxes until the following year. Looking for the prawn trap equivalent if it exists…
I'd put money on one 18" real bauer trap outfishing four of anything that folds.

^This^
I have used a round trap that flattens but the diameter means it doesn’t save much space over an 18” Bauer and although it caught some prawns it was less effective for me.
I found the rectangular collapsible trap was pretty much a waste of time.
OK, Thanks for this, rectangular are out and 18" Bauer is at the top of the list. One other wrinkle - I need to find something that can either ship to Kamloops in the next 2 weeks or that I can pick up between here and Rupert. Pending other replies, I'm leaning towards grabbing a full pair setup from amazon (2 X 400' lead 5/16" line, cheap spherical floats, traps, bait holders for a couple hundred) and then seeing if I can pick up one of the 18" bauers from the Pacific Net and Twine location in Rupert. To be honest, I was hoping for "somewhat effecitve" space saving solution for something that is #323 on my fishing priority list and #595 on my life priority list, haha! But if buying and storing the Bauer is the way to go to get our annual 1lb of prawn requirement, so be it!

Instead of buying the whatever kit off Amazon, I'd buy a single 18" Bauer with 1 rope & float & trap weight. If you're new to prawning, I can assure you that getting out there with 2 foldable traps off Amazon, 800' of rope and bouys on a 14' boat will be a good test of sanity.

Save money by going with poly rope, not leaded. Add a 1 lb clip weight to prevent excess line from becoming a floating hazard. Bonus is the poly rope is a lot easier to handle.

Knock down traps aren't as much of a thing as you're thinking. Once you have them in the water, you'll only ever have either the prawn traps out by themselves, or the crab pots. Leaving overnight is fine in most areas. Most of the "stolen traps" you hear about are actually lost traps. Insufficient weight, not enough rope for water depth, float obscured by hard running tide are all reasons for traps disappearing.

i know you said room is at a premium but i would buy at least 2 bauer knock offs. they fish like heck and you will vastly improve your odds of coming home with more prawns with two traps.

for example one day this spring i set 6 traps in almost 400’ of water. four traps missed their mark and ended up too shallow. they were total water hauls.
the last two struck gold and were loaded. use two traps to prospect then you can narrow down or pinpoint your “ attack if you get my drift.

'Prospecting' can also be done in a limited way with two traps on one line placed far enough apart that they land at different elevations. I spliced 100' of one colour line to 300' of a different colour to help with the spacing. I place the traps 75'-80' apart with a clip-on weight right near the splice. I power the boat ahead and tight line a bit after attaching the second trap to keep the traps apart as they drop. When hauling them in I keep my eye out for the splice, then the weight etc.. Even this close together two traps can get different results.
If one contour produces better than the other you can orient yourself along this contour instead of across it when dropping the next set.
I have significantly increased my yield since I started doing this.

Back