Ling Cod

• Thread starter Thread starter Alex Braun
  • Start date Start date
A

Alex Braun

Just wondering if any one was out fishing today for Ling?
Im planning on going out tomorow and I wanted to know if any one had any luck today

Alex

I was thinking about it as well.I probably won't make it out for a week or two.It will be interesting to see how things go .Hopefully everyone behaves.

Was thinking of taking the family out sunday. Bought some new braided line. Wanted to give it a go. Prawns, crabs and lings oh my!

Thanks for the replys

I went out friday morning to poller pass and cot a nice rock fish and some green ling but no ling cod

the weather was so nice and the water was so calm
being out there on a day like that is worth it even with no ling

Alex

We got out Saturday. Nice long slack tide. Picked up 2 keeper sized ling, greenling, rockies and a cabazon. Great outing and excellent weather. Lots of people out spending lots of money on lures, gas, etc. What a boost to the economy this opening provides and as you noted Alex, not a lot of ling being taken anyway.
Looked to be quite a few people fishing for salmon too. Any reports from Porlier lately??
Who else from this site was out over the weekend at Porlier?

quote:Originally posted by drhook

We got out Saturday. Nice long slack tide. Picked up 2 keeper sized ling, greenling, rockies and a cabazon. Great outing and excellent weather. Lots of people out spending lots of money on lures, gas, etc. What a boost to the economy this opening provides and as you noted Alex, not a lot of ling being taken anyway.
Looked to be quite a few people fishing for salmon too. Any reports from Porlier lately??
Who else from this site was out over the weekend at Porlier?
I've caught some large cabazon at porlier in the past.Do you keep them?

We kept this one this time. I've been told that they are excellent eating. We'll find out. Extremely tough to fillet however.

We kept this one this time. I've been told that they are excellent eating. We'll find out. Extremely tough to fillet however.
I believe it.They are a very solid fish.Let us know how it was to eat.Meat really colored?
Glad we have a guinea pig:)

We eat them all the time. One of the better rockfish IMHO.

VERY similar to ling, especially the green variety.

And fat!!!

quote:Originally posted by knucklebuster

I believe it.They are a very solid fish.Let us know how it was to eat.Meat really colored?
Glad we have a guinea pig:)
Had that cabezon tonight. Excellent eating! Firmer flesh than lincod but very similar in taste and flakyness.
I'll keep another if I happen to get one.
FYI, for those not aware...cabezon are listed in the regs as sculpin and your allowed 8 per day. Yum!

Went out yesterday in an area around Nanaimo that is fairly popular. It was supposed to be a day cruise and BBQ on the boat with the wife, my son and his girlfriend and my daughter and her boyfriend. No fishing. Well we convinced the wife to allow us to bring 3 rods so we could do some jigging when sitting around having a pop or two.

We caught at least 8 lings, 4 of them legal size but kept nothing. I wasn't sure on the regs ( I am now) and didn't bring the coffin or a knife or anything else. I've heard the stories about bringing a ling in and having a larger one attack it, now I've seen it. My son was bringing in a ling about 2 feet long when another larger one grabbed it by the belly, the fattest part of the fish. One of the kids got a pic, will try to post later.

We also caught several good size rock fish and released all but a small one that got fed to an eagle. We caught most of these fish in about 60 feet of water.

Looking forward to the next trip where I will be bringing home a meal.
Beautiful day on the water despite a sudden thunder shower.

I was out yesterday as well and got about 20 lings but they were all under sized. Same thing happened to me as baddog i had about a 4lb ling then saw this shadow following it and one about 10lbs followed right to the surface. Still a good day on the water

Back