Lest We Forget

FYMulXY.jpg

At the eleventh hour on the eleventh day of the eleventh month – we will remember them.

Last edited:
In Flanders Fields
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, Loved, and were loved, and now we lie In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow In Flanders fields.
- John McCrae

The grey November sky
The small tear in our eye
Lost chances for goodbye
For those who had to die

We give thanks and remember
Each and every military member
Their memory a glowing ember
Which we light every November

A fire burns inside us all
Sad for those who had to fall
For dutifully answering the call
Now just names listed on a wall

The faces of the young and the old
The courage and strength to be bold
In the heat, the rain, and the cold
Suffering horrors, some left untold

We stand today without making a sound
Thanking those now below the ground
As well as those who were never found
Wishing that they might still be around

Yeah I miss my grandfather every day since he passed. I was lucky to hear his war stories. So many never came home from the Regina Rifles in WW2 in Normandy landing to liberation of Na-zi territory in Europe.

How he survived is a miracle. I remember him telling me how he hid out in a windmill with another soldier in France when they got separated from his regiment. Those two were best friends till they passed away.

On his funeral day one of his war buddies in his 80s drove 10 hrs to the funeral. That's how much respect they had for each other.

Such a different time.....

Attachments

• OIG (1).jpeg
    OIG (1).jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 4
A squadron picture taken in Scotland. My father is directly below the downward pointing prop on the right side of the picture. I went to the ceremony here in Metchosin today and was thinking of my dad and 6 uncles who all served in WW2.IMG_0598.jpeg

Last edited:
Our Dad was in WWII, and was part of Canada's efforts to liberate Europe in 1944 / 1945. He was always active in sharing their stories for future generations, including the Memory Project.

https://www.thememoryproject.com/

He's gone now but was generous with his stories, good and awful, and spent 3 years after the war ended in London at London University before coming back and studying law at UBC. This was also so my grandmother didn't have to see his bullet wound scars for a long while as he was wounded by a sniper as they pushed the Germans back out of the Netherlands. It happened 10 days to the end of the war as pockets of resistance remained.

Cheers Dad!

Both my Grandfathers served and were wounded during WW1, one at Vimy Ridge.

Both my parents served during WW2, Mom in the Navy and Dad in the Air Force.

I served in the Navy, 1964 to 1967.

Indeed, Lest We Forget.

We owe so much to those who were actually in those two World wars.
So much.

Take care.

Just read a letter my father had sent to my grandmother in 1945. He was 23 years old at the time and had been overseas for several years. He never talked much about the war to us. To be so young and seen so much must have been traumatic. Then these soldiers came home and had to search so hard to find jobs. Yes we owe our past a great debt .

Back