Leapin' Ling Cod (Batman!)

• Thread starter Thread starter cliffjumper
  • Start date Start date
C

cliffjumper

I would never have believed this could be for real.

Walking along Dallas Road, when I got to Clover Point, I noticed what seemed like 3-7# fish jumping all over the bay on the west side of the point. Water was calm, and I didn't have a rod in hand, nor car handy.

A quick walk back to the car, near the breakwater, I looked in the trunk... & Yes, I neglected to take a small bass rod out when I cleaned the trunk.

Drove back to the point, only had a white/green buzzbomb to put on, and in five casts... five... LING COD!... all ranged 20"-10".

With the 6th fish on, my phone rang. Land & released #6 ling, called the missed caller. It was my daughter who went for a walk with her mom in the Cordova Bay area.

She asked if I knew the bay they'd been walking because THERE WERE DOZENS & DOZENS OF "REALLY BIG" FISH JUMPING ALL OVER THE PLACE!

Sat. night I went to that spot, no I'd never been before, and, again jumpers all over, and over 20 (lost count) C&R... Ling Cod! Ranged pretty small to 16" & no keepers. (I like to toast my thanks for a landed fish, but didn't even try to keep up & quit after 3)

Has anyone ever seen or heard of jumping Ling Cod before? I'd first thought they'd be trout, but when you looked close... Nope they're lings jumping... gorging on those little black/white eels.

Get your kids to the shallow-run beach flats and let them have at it with jigheads & small plastic white/black jerkbaits. You'll soon tire of letting them go, but little kids will have a ball.

Cheers!

It was between 6:30 & 10 pm. Both Fri & Sat night pretty calm. I ended up using white jigheads, 1/2oz & 4" Berkley Powerbait jerk shads in white under black. I'm sure 2"-3" Gulp or plain plastics would work... bass grubs or worms. Kids love it when they can't keep fish off their line. Pinch the barbs, you'll release a lot of fish.

I think, by the way it seemed, you could pick any bay-beach with a fairly long shallow run... to about 20' deep at your farthest casting range. Most strikes came around 3'-5' deep and as close as at my feet.

Clover Point isn't what I'd call a sheltered beach, but the west side has that long shallow run. The east side sucks off the point, a real snaggy area and no fun for kids. Pick one with a smooth gravelled bottom, there's lots around from McCauley to Island View. I wouldn't go for a rocky point and deeper water for fast action. Really, strikes as shallow as 1', as close as a foot from shore. I know it's not salmon fishing, but, Great action for kids.

Cheers!

Back