Leaking ship

jimbob

How can I locate a leak in my double eagle below the waterline? I am taking on a couple of gallons of water each week.

Do you have I/0 or ouboard? Is the boat on a trailer or moored? Do you take on water when you go out or while its moored? Is it fresh water or salt?

Leaks can really be a bugger.I had water in the bildge on my brand new boat.We traced it to the drain plug housing.The factory did a crappy sealing job.

I`m not that knowledgeable about fibreglass leaks but if it was me, I think I would probably pull the boat onto my trailer and try and find somewhere I could get it out of the weather. Once the outside of the hull was dry, I`d pour a few gallons of water into the boat, add some food coloring and try and find the problem that way. If water leaks in, it should also leak out.
Of course when you get it on the trailer, it may become obvious where it was leaking.

quote:Originally posted by Despy

I`m not that knowledgeable about fibreglass leaks but if it was me, I think I would probably pull the boat onto my trailer and try and find somewhere I could get it out of the weather. Once the outside of the hull was dry, I`d pour a few gallons of water into the boat, add some food coloring and try and find the problem that way. If water leaks in, it should also leak out.
Of course when you get it on the trailer, it may become obvious where it was leaking.

i 2nd that. but food colouring may dye your some areas

Goose, Despy's got the right idea. You must 'dry dock' your boat to solve the problem. Appears to be slow but steady leakage; best guess would be check 're-do' all sealant gaskets on your thru-hull fittings.
Any recently installed hardware to the exterior hull?
Check for hairline cracks in fibreglass hull (hate to even bring this up as a possibility)?
Sometimes the O/B motormount bolts can work loose, rupturing the seal at transom?
Do you have a live bait well, could be the hose is ruptured? Same with your bilge pump hose? We have had freezing temperatures, which could rupture these hoses?
I recently had some water leaking in bilge of my Crestliner, turns out the I/O riser elbow gasket had failed.
I won't even get into this sordid tale of woe, which led to a $2500 repair bill:(
Good luck, let us know what you found.
PinchMe:D

Not sure of the year of your Double Eagle but I had a similar problem with mine its a 1977.In the center of the motor well,at the transom,there is a drain that goes through the deck and outer hull,it has a plastic or fiberglass tube,that drains it.What happens over time is the sealant on the bottom part of it deterioates and starts to slowly drip it doesnt happen all the time i guess the wood in the transom swells and there sometimes is crap in the well that seals it.It took me forever to figure it out.Also some of the older hulls have very fine cracks on the downward roll of the well near the transom this also leaks slowly.And i have heard that if the trim that surronds the transom is not sealed it can leak in there also,i cant speak from experience on that issue.It was a real pig to find it,I also thought it was a leak below the water line.Good luck DAN

Back