large fish

the runt

Hi guys, i have question,I plan on going to enter my 1st. derby.It's going to be held down bye tacoma wa.I hear through the grapevine that these fish are travellers,and not the bottom dwellers like i'm used to.These yanks are claiming if you fish the bottom your chances are slim to catch a fish.Is this true.This info came from hunting &fishing news.also would you change tactics to target large salmon.Or is it the luck of the draw,big fish small fish,and just go with what ya know.Thanks

the big migratory fish are usually found in the top 60'
if you read the fishing reports from "island outfitters"
it seems the big boys are usually there.
fish tight to structure if possible

Also fish well before first light and I agree in the top 60 feet most of my big fish have been in the top 30 feet. I also fish until it is dark. I have alway caught my biggest fish it was dark. Good luck.

I have always caught my big fish in the top 60 feet as well that is some good advice:D:D

Big fish big lures or big bait, troll slow and make the turns vs going straight. Slight zig zag speeds up inside or out side rods which can create a hit. Try false flashers vs flasher on line. Kick the motor in and out of gear once and a while. Just my opinion.

Cheers ME

u could also try power mooching. if u do try mooching then u want a slow spining cutplug for king and a faster spinning cutplug for silver

Honestly, I never saw you weigh in a winner, or release, sorry, not at Langara son.

Back