Ladies on the river.. where are you?

lbean

I am a 29 y/o novice fisher lady* originally from the Bulkley Valley but now situated in east Vancouver. I've learned a lot from my boyfriend but after some spring and summer trouting, a stellar pink season, a decent fall and a good start to the winter I feel like its time to stop depending solely on my boy and go it on my own and find a lady* friend who knows what shes doing. Ive had lots of opportunities to take out my new eager inexperienced friends but I'd like to be able to hang out and fish with someone who has her own gear and has her own spots. I am definitely having some trouble finding such a lady*! I only have fresh water experience (I work in the social service sector which means i'm working poor.. no charters or boat ownership for this gal) but really enjoy the rivers.

B/F and I are also open to heading out with another couple.

I've posted on craigslist but all I've gotten is dudes either asking me for fishing dates or pretending they have a girlfriend who'd love to go with me.

* a female adult that doesn't need 12 oz of make up on and a visit to the stylist before she hits the river...

Last edited by a moderator:
6f6.gif

My girlfriend loves fishing with me and has always wanted to go out with other girls fishing. She enjoys fly fishing. I bought her a set of chest waders last year for Christmas. She felt they were to restricting and cut them down. Won't be doing that again.

I dont lol at home much while on the internet but after a few seconds when I saw this. OMG - sore tummy.

I am definitely having some trouble finding such a lady*!

x2

ibean, you have come to the right place. I think many members here share your predicament.

Welcome to the site and good luck with your search.

I am a 29 y/o novice fisher lady*. I've learned a lot from my boyfriend but after some spring and summer trouting, a stellar pink season, a decent fall and a good start to the winter I feel like its time to stop depending solely on my boy and go it on my own with a lady* who knows what shes doing. Ive had lots of opportunities to take out my new eager inexperienced friends but I'd like to be able to hang out and fish with someone who has her own gear and has her own spots. I am definitely having some trouble finding such a lady*! I only have fresh water experience (I work in the social service sector which means i'm working poor.. no charters or boat ownership for this gal) but really enjoy the rivers.

B/F and I are also open to heading out with another couple.

I've posted on craigslist but all I've gotten is dudes either asking me for fishing dates or pretending they have a girlfriend who'd love to go with me.

* a female adult that doesn't need 12 oz of make up on and a visit to the stylist before she hits the river...

You may want to add the area where you live.

Get with the program phart.........

Untitled123_zpsb7cfe34e.jpg

;)

Hold tight there is going to be some predictable male behavior to continue on here. I remeber when April Vokey posted the same request it wasn't pretty. Most dudes awould love to be able to fly cast and fish butt succesfully as she does.

perhaps discuss your question with a local reputable tackle retailer, they may know of another in a similar situation.

Good luck on your search,

Richard

West coast tackle on hastings.. Go there and ask also.

Hold tight there is going to be some predictable male behavior to continue on here. I remeber when April Vokey posted the same request it wasn't pretty. Most dudes awould love to be able to fly cast and fish butt succesfully as she does.

perhaps discuss your question with a local reputable tackle retailer, they may know of another in a similar situation.

Richard
April Vokey was here? How did I miss that?

Richard

"love to be able to fly cast and fish butt succesfully as she does." - Freudian Slip there Even? :)

Come on now Even... she is reaching out to the community for a little guidance and support. I am sure her fisher sisters on this site will provide her with some good, solid contacts and information. Why do you immediately assume that all us guys will try to take advantage of the situation? Shame on you....

Met the Famous April Vokey at the Vedder crossing one day a couple of yrs ago fishing Steelhead. She was with an equally impressive friend swinging flys and chugging a lugging cold wobbly pops.:p:p:p

flyfishergirl and flygal are both pretty good websites. One of them even happens to be a childhood friend of a friend of mine. Ive gotten some good info from both particularly on waders but no luck of trying to find a girl who knows what she's doing to come out with me.
Unfortunate that I'll be saving for a few months to get customizes simms headwaters. My teeny feet cost me an extra 50 and working in social work doesn't offer room for toys. I am just glad i was able to read a bunch of reviews and get some good advice. "if you cant afford good waders save until you can".

Now to decide which tackle shop is going to get my business

I would check out the Vancouver Boat Show coming up this week. There will be lots of venders all in the same building so you can all your comparisons at one location. There may even be Manufacturer reps there for the particular products you are looking for.

Working on getting both by teenage daughters into fly fishing. They gear fish now but there's something artfully beautiful to seeing a couple of ladies heading out on their own to hunt fish. That sight is slowly becoming more common.

I'm not seeing any vendors that do waders listed on the event page Fishbreath. I did a lot of research, shopping around and fitting so now i know what is going to work for me in the long run. I just wish the damn things would go on sale! However, the boat show does look interesting and there are some cool seminars I might like to check out if they are on my days off.
eroyd: fly fishing is definitely something I plan to pick up sooner than later. There seems to be some good ladies courses out of Chilliwack. As a kid I wasn't 'allowed' to fish or hunt because I was a girl and only the boys did those trips. I've obviously been rebelling. Very cool that you're teaching your girls. also I am sure that after they master the art the standard of men they show interest will be higher! bonus!

Met the Famous April Vokey at the Vedder crossing one day a couple of yrs ago fishing Steelhead. She was with an equally impressive friend swinging flys and chugging a lugging cold wobbly pops.:p:p:p
hmm, wowsa...she needs to get a show with Mariko Izumi. I'd watch that!

Whats the issue with the standard waders?

Cabelas in Marysville has some sweet simms mens small and xl in there clearance section right now.

I bought my wife the Simms ladies headwaters and the fit was very good. I found some blemished ones on Amazon for $240 I think it was.
The sizing guide on their website was very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back