Kickers

• Thread starter Thread starter Giterdone
  • Start date Start date
G

Giterdone

Anybody offer any input on used Mariner and Yamaha 9.9hp kickers? The good the bad? What to watch for? Thanks in advance.[?]

somebody out there that likes Mariner's would shoot me for this
but.... i would stay away from them.
Go with a Yamaha,suzuki or honda all of which are good.
Watch the newspaper, or used Victoria.com as they come up frequently.
My buddy has a 9.9 Yam, and the only problem was a "brain" replacement which caused intermittent starting problems.

Thanks for the input. I have also a possible 9.9 Honda lined up also. Guess I'll find out when I see them run eh?

I have a Mariner 9.9 its a 1990 I have put lots of hours on this thing,From chewing up the prop in the rivers to fishing it in the salt for 10 years. this thing has been great, the only problem I have had is the fuel filter got a crack in it and lost its vacum to draw gas, this was a $4 fix,I think that good maintinance is the key,I drain the leg oil annually,and empty the carb before storage. Thats my two cents!!

I have had a suzuki 15 and now a yammy 8 and they are both great.The yamm is 2003 and starts first pull and I haven't done a thing to it except oil changes.It sits on the boat all year round.Mind you I usually troll with my new main merc verado 135 as it is supper quiet and I can control the speed and rpm with the dash computer.[8D]

Actually Time it does show in my profile when go to edit, the black background with the dark blue text is sure hard to see.
And thanks to everyone for the replies, I ended up buying the Yamaha and figured what the Hey! might as well take the Honda too. Guess I'll see how dependable they are eh?

In my experience it runs as such..

Mariner - had their day,, now old technology

Honda - nothing but a boat anchor, well even poor at that to heavy

Yamaha - very good actually hard to beat..

Sazuki / Small Johnson - some of the best and smoothest running there is.

Merc - dependable but ruff running little suckers...

Seen quite a few run on different waters over the years and if you look at them objectively I think you will come up with the same results..

quote:Originally posted by walleyes

In my experience it runs as such..

Mariner - had their day,, now old technology

Honda - nothing but a boat anchor, well even poor at that to heavy

Yamaha - very good actually hard to beat..

Sazuki / Small Johnson - some of the best and smoothest running there is.

Merc - dependable but ruff running little suckers...

Seen quite a few run on different waters over the years and if you look at them objectively I think you will come up with the same results..

And i guess you have run all of these and therefore are an expert ???

too many wobblie's

sorry walleye's [:I]

Have run 4 of the 6 mentioned myself and have family and local guide freinds that have ran any number of the other 6 so yah I am speaking from some experince and knowledge... Not sure if anybody is an expert but sometimes if you look at things with an open mind you can actually see what there is to be seen...

Now lets not get into a hissy fit guys. I'm going to use the Yamaha for the kicker on my chuck boat and since I live on Quesnel Lake I'm going to use the Honda on there for Bass fishing and just generally farting around in the summer. Just need to find myself a cheep or free beater boat. Have a great day and I hope the weather improves real soon so we can all get out there and do what we live for. and by the way walleyes, your absolutely right about the Honda weighing in about the same as a Civic.

Back