kicker question

• Thread starter Thread starter saltybeaver
  • Start date Start date
S

saltybeaver

Just wondering what some of you have done to prevent your kicker from being stolen.
I have just bolted mine, any ideas?
Chris

The best chain/cable/padlock you can get. Then make sure its insured.
Seems there is eyes watching for opportunity all the time.

If you don't plan on removing the kicker for a while you can get a spot weld on the nut of your safety bolts that go through the kicker bracket . And then if you have to get your kicker off you use a zip cut on the end of the nut so you can remove the engine. Thats one way of stopping the thieves from stealing it.

I bought a proper outboard lock set, which is a u shaped channel iron which has a lock in one end. Any locksmith should be able to sell.
Whould be very hard to get kicker off without the key.

I bolt mine on and have a cable lock through it and around my transom cleat when not in use. I am going to check out the outboard lock that Little G suggested. I bolt mine on to reduce theft and to reduce it from bouncing off my transom in heavy seas.

Thanks guys . Im going to sure around nanaimo for one of those smart locks.

Thanks for posting that lock,rock.Salty if you find one can you let me know,I would be interested in buying one.I keep the boat in the garage,but you never know. DAN

parker marine sells a bolt lock ruffly 40.00
GALLAZIN R. & SON sell a bar lock that goes over the clamps 35.00

quote:Originally posted by saltybeaver

Just wondering what some of you have done to prevent your kicker from being stolen.
I have just bolted mine, any ideas?
Chris

I bolted mine to my swim grid. I then hammered the last 1/2" protruding out from the mounting nuts over flat. I then got a file and rounded off the heads on the bolts to the point where I could not get vice grips on 'em. If the kicker has to come off, it will be me with a zip wheel in a few minutes, and the thieves will move on to another boat where it would actually just be easier to un-bolt the kicker mount then fight with an anti-theft bolt.

Bolted to the bracket, plus sleeve and lock over the handles for tightening the motor to the bracket.
Now they have to take the bracket too.
You could make your own by slotting a ss pipe to within about an inch of the end, sliding it over the handle clamps on the outboard, then installing a lock through a couple of predrilled holes in the tube, so that the tube cannot be removed. But probably easier to buy the standard outboard lock bar that comes with a lock, all for about 40.00. Advantage of these is that all the lock parts are tucked down so almost impossible to get a bolt cutter on. Disadvantage is they are not ss.

Those Stazo locks look good, but, after a net search, unable to locate a source.

Has anyone tried one of these? Not sure if they come in stainless steel:D
163169_thumb.jpg

Cheers
Vic

Back