Jervis Inlet Prawning and Crabbing

Sir Reel

Heading up into Jervis Inlet next week. Going into Princess Lousia Inlet too for a few days.
Is it worth bringing prawn and or crab traps to use around Back Eddy Marina?
I think it is only Hatchery Chinook, one a day?

Thanks!

Correct on the one hatchery a day in Jervis, one of either in toba and bute.

The commercial guys are out big time for prawns off egmont pt. I was there yesterday and it was amazing.

Have a blast!

Last edited:
Heading up into Jervis Inlet next week. Going into Princess Lousia Inlet too for a few days.
Is it worth bringing prawn and or crab traps to use around Back Eddy Marina?
I think it is only Hatchery Chinook, one a day?

Thanks!
Prawning has been steady from the floats in Madeira. They tend come on strong between 1:30-2:00 PM daily. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0943.JPG
    IMG_0943.JPG
    502.3 KB · Views: 78
the com guys usually hammer the killam area so I would steer clear I have put sets where they aren’t only to return later to find my traps surrounded and stuck under their string.

the com guys usually hammer the killam area so I would steer clear I have put sets where they aren’t only to return later to find my traps surrounded and stuck under their string.
We had a few days of dealing with that crap around Nelson Island as well. Most of them are great, one or two are real pieces of work. I was dropping well away from them in hard to reach nooks and crannies and it seemed quite obvious that they just peppered their gear over my traps to pin them down.

We had a few days of dealing with that crap around Nelson Island as well. Most of them are great, one or two are real pieces of work. I was dropping well away from them in hard to reach nooks and crannies and it seemed quite obvious that they just peppered their gear over my traps to pin them down.
Respectfully it is highly unlikely they are trying to pin you down. They are looking for production from their gear and are putting it wear they think prawns are. Sport traps are a minor inconvenience if tangled with commercial gear. Live prawn prices are the highest they have ever been this year and leases were up to $80,000. Tons of pressure on fisherman as not all areas are producing therefore there is crowding in many other spots and some are closing early.

Back