Islander reels

• Thread starter Thread starter Bravefart
  • Start date Start date
B

Bravefart

Replacing my old trusty shimano mooching reel with a Islander
reel. What to get, should I get the MR2 or the ARMR2?
Any suggestions or preferences.
Davie

I wouldn't go for the AMR2, it is the same as the mr2 except it works sort of like a level wind, it releases line without having to spin the handles. It would take the fun out of playing fish i think, no more knuckle busters. if i were you, i'd go for the mr3, sounds similar to the mr2 but has a wider base so it retrieves line faster and i've heard it has a better drag system too. the only thing i noticed about the mr3 is that it has no release on it. but who really uses that release thing anyways. but the thing is, i've never used either reel cause they are so expensive, so i guess my opinion is sort of limited. anyways, happy fishing,

Captain Dudds

I have both the ARMR2 And the MR2's
Depends on what you're looking for in a reel.IMO
The AR's are great for intermediate and beginner fisher and also for those who are worried about keeping constant tension.
MR's are more traditional with die hards.
The nice feature of the MR3's is that they can be reversed to left hand retrieve for those of us that like that sort of thing.
I don't regret getting the AR's as some of my clients are very novice anglers and it gives them a something less to think about.

boc

The new MR3 is very smooth and I like the new drag and the new handles getting 2 of them very soon as soon as the order comes in I heard there a litle behind on the orders so you may have to wait a bit but I think there well worth waiting for!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

I also own two MR2's. I'm looking to get one of the handles removed and the second handle I want to replace with a shimano knob. The only beef I have with the islander is the small knobs. Tough for a big guy.

TT

Looks like the MR2 or the MR3 gets the nod.
Thanks for the info guys.

Davie

Back