Island deer rifle

I have all the components for reloading the 6.5 Creedmoor but I am just waiting for a left hand Ruger Hawkeye FTW hunter to present itself or I will have to order one from Clay at Prophet River. These cartridges in the .25 (1/4) range are taking off again big time. The 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Remington, 6.5x55 Swede, etc. are all flat shooting and have lower recoil (similar to a .243). The reason they really shine is the very high ballistic coefficient (BC) bullets which have some long range deer killing capabilities without the magnum status. Load these up with some top quality bullets like Barnes TSX or the newer Hornady and Nosler bullets and you have the ultimate all around deer cartridge.

I know that most Island deer shots are not very long range but guns and cartridges are fun lol. I appreciate Profishers post about the .30-.30 and remember my first deer with my old Marlin. I will never sell that rifle as it is an absolute tack driver (rare for a two piece stocked lever action).

More stuff for Jeff to think about lol.

Anyways, great thread buddy. I hope you pick a good rifle that will serve your needs. I am sure it won't be your last bwahaha.

Last edited:
The 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Remington, 6.5x55 Swede, etc. are all flat shooting and have lower recoil (similar to a .243). The reason they really shine is the very high ballistic coefficient (BC) bullets which have some long range deer killing capabilities without the magnum status. Load these up with some top quality bullets like Barnes TSX or the newer Hornady and Nosler bullets and you have the ultimate all around deer cartridge.

When I wake up from my nap to the snort of a buck....and my nap is interrupted because I woke up at 3am after libations til 9 the night before ( ;) ) and I tilt my toes out as a rest while 'reverse prone'..."BC" is gonna mean what? I am more concerned about good quality socks so my rests aren't trembling in my boots!!

BC is a province Jeff lives in...not something he should worry about in killing Bambi, Bambi's Mommy or Daddy. :p

Last edited:
When I wake up from my nap to the snort of a buck....and my nap is interrupted because I woke up at 3 after libations til 9 ( ;) ) and I tilt my toes out as a rest while 'reverse prone'..."BC" is gonna mean what? I am more concerned about good quality so my rests aren't trembling in my boots!!

BC is a province Jeff lives in...not something he should worry about in killing Bambi, Bambi's Mommy or Daddy. :p

I know, I know, I was just showing my gun nut side buddy. In all reality for most shot's on deer on the island the old dirty thirty can get the job done lol. I guess it really depends on what he wants to do. If he wants only one rifle than the .308 (like many and yourself posted) or the 06 will do just fine. Many folks have the two rifle battery of the .243 and then step up to the .300 WM. Seems to be a popular combo. Anyways he has time and money to burn over the years ha ha.

When he hits that combo he will be in the same boat as quite a few folks like myself that can't have just a few guns :cool:. It becomes a problem just like tuna fishing..........

Side note: You need to hunt blacktails on the Island fellow hunter cause your getting way to jammies with feet on em and sleeping in for me:oops: o_O. I think I finally found the come back.........:D.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyones replies ,
ALL of the calibers mentioned are great and have seen all of them drop many a animal, I personally use a 30:06 I got it when I was 13 yrs old and it feels like an extension of me its been thru a lot with me ive shot deer,moose,bear and a few elk. You will know which one is right when you put it up to your shoulder and it "fits" like a glove....
If it seems hindering or you have to move your cheek around to make it feel right thats the wrong one for you it should go up on your shoulder look thru the scope and everything "fits". you will know....

Remember it doesn't matter what you shoot in any caliber if you wait for a good shot and double lung an animal its DEAD, wait that extra second . if it gets away so be it nothing worse than wounding a animal and it runs away and you dont recover it.for the island deer stick with what most said, id shy away from the 22-250 great for yotes on open prairie though.....
On the topic of meat damage I agree completely with what Sculpin has to say, especially about shot placement.

My dad has a 30-06 in a Savage Axis stainless, which for the money is actually probably one of the better entry level guns on the bottom of the spectrum, and I took a deer with that last year with no more meat damage compared to those taken with my own gun.
What you are saying about waiting for the perfect shot and not wounding the deer and have it run off is one of the main reasons i started this thread.. pretty broad range of calibre from alot of experienced hunters .. i definitely have some research to do but don't want to go too deep into the wallet as stated it will be my first but not my last hunting rifle .. dont know if i can afford a stainless rifle first off either.. lots to think about and learn.. i herd everything from 25/06 to 243 to 270 ..30/06 im also not sure i need the rifle to be able to take down bigger game, can always cross that road when we come to it, So far i have it narrowed down to wanting a bolt action rifle n scope please by all means ... keep the discussion going peoples...well i enjoy the the new Cabelas catalouge..

I use to enjoy hunting with my old '94 30-30. Bagged a lot of deer with that rifle, and one moose. Then one day while hunting broken timber I get a view across a draw and see the biggest BT I've ever seen standing on the top of a knoll. Magazine cover material. Unfortunately at that range the front sight bead covered the whole deer. With no way in this particular scenario to close the distance I missed the opportunity. I did try to cut him off further down the ridge. Got his buddy. Morale of the story. A good variable power scope with a low range of 2.5-4 is indispensable.

If he wants only one rifle than the .308 (like many and yourself posted) or the 06 will do just fine. Many folks have the two rifle battery of the .243 and then step up to the .300 WM. Seems to be a popular combo. Anyways he has time and money to burn over the years ha ha.

Agreed on that front....I would like to add a 338-06 or something like that like 300WSM to my battery of arms but the 308 just keeps doing it. Quite honestly....hucking a ball out of a .54 cal traditional muzzie is WAY more fun!

Thanks for everyones replies ,

What you are saying about waiting for the perfect shot and not wounding the deer and have it run off is one of the main reasons i started this thread.. pretty broad range of calibre from alot of experienced hunters .. i definitely have some research to do but don't want to go too deep into the wallet as stated it will be my first but not my last hunting rifle .. dont know if i can afford a stainless rifle first off either.. lots to think about and learn.. i herd everything from 25/06 to 243 to 270 ..30/06 im also not sure i need the rifle to be able to take down bigger game, can always cross that road when we come to it, So far i have it narrowed down to wanting a bolt action rifle n scope please by all means ... keep the discussion going peoples...well i enjoy the the new Cabelas catalouge..

Jeffy....."the perfect shot and not wounding the deer and have it run off" is NOT your concern with respect to calibre of rifle (except for maybe a Red Rider BB gun...haha). That onus lies on you and your ability to know your comfort level and have practiced with the rifle/ calibre you choose. I started out deer hunting at the age of 12 (legally allowed in MB) with a 243 for deer (very easy recoil) and a 30-30 open sight/lever for moose (also relatively light recoil). For you I would find someone close or join a gun club, bring some ammo, gifts in any sort of form and ask a few guys if you can try out different calibres/set ups. This way you get the feel of the calibre and the recoil to a certain extent. Take notes though if certain ones as @wolf said just feel good....brand centric thoughts. You're a grown guy....recoil on anything up to a 30-06 is not going to make you cry in your kilt like a private school girl....haha. Honestly.....if you want a gun to "grow" into I would say go with a 270, 308 or 30-06....as others have said they will kill anything in BC (or close) with a WELL PLACED SHOT.

I think it's been pretty clear in this thread the general calibres you should be looking at if JUST hunting on the Island. Your budget is the next thing you have to look at.

IMHO.....bolt action....YES! I am still hunting with a wood stock 308 blued barrel Tikka that is a good 30 years old....still looks mint because I take care of it....and still kills animals. Ya....you have a different (wet) climate on the Island but if nothing else not going stainless as you get into hunting ensures you NEED to take care of your firearm after each day out. Not a bad thing to have to do. I grew up in MB hunting with traditional muzzleloaders (I'm only 45...the trucks didn't have a crank on the front; we had options ;) just enjoyed the muzzle only season for deer back there) we HAD to fire them off at the end of the day as the powder/patch and bullet were in the barrel but EVERY day after hunting I was the dude who cleaned them all up as that was needed for that type of firearm. Learned that from an early age hunting ducks/grouse when I was about 6 yrs old.

Last edited:
I also really like the feel of the Tika and the Sako but they are far from entry level... this thread could go on for awhile as i just spent quite a bit on my 12 gauge stuff and need to regroup a bit ,lots to learn and again appreciate everyones input .

Jeff you may not need a bigger gun BUT you may get asked to go on a mooseor mule/whitetail deer hunt last minute and you say to whoever well all I got is a 243??? duuuuhhhhh.......... my 30:06 has shot MANY a moose last 8 or so were one shot placed in lungs or in neck and dead. ive used 180 to 150 to 130 grains on that gun it likes the 150 reloads the best and it doesnt kick much at all, I think you could take a good punch in the arm LOL
and trust me when I say this YOU dont feel a thing when your shooting at a animal. its also nice if you do have to make a bit longer shot to say 250 yds at a NICE animal you can with a mid caliber in the 308,270. or the 06 they all are VERY close in all the ballistic tables and a all around GREAT ones to start out with it will all come down to how it feels and because its the most expensive doesnt always equate to the best, as for not rusting even stainless rusts saw it with my buddy sako.

I make sure its all oiled up when i know its going to be raining and when I get back from hunting wipe it down and re spray takes 2 mins and it will last forever my ol gun is over 60 yrs old a BSA feather weight blueing is fading but so what it shoots 1/4 groups at 100 yds THATS whats matter the most....isnt guns and hunting FUN LOL LOL now if you get into reloading thats another thing LOL
good luck bud

Thanks Wolf , was not try to pigeon hole myself with a small calibre but i may have a 30/06 that was my grandfathers mooose gun being handed down to me , the 270 was also reccomended to me from a few of my friends that are into hunting , not afraid of the larger calibre guns , shot a 300wm and 7 mil remington magnun... also i want a lighter rifle for packing around rather then a bigger rifle as i know how much hiking is envolved .... damn there are some nice rifles out there though.. as stated finding one that just feels right is important ... the one i found is 1300 without the scope

... the one i found is 1300 without the scope

That's up there a bit in price Jeff as a "starter" rifle but if you want to make the investment on a 'better rifle' out of the gate I'd say go for it! To be honest....I'd likely do the same thing. ;) Put some good optics on a good rifle that you can "grow" into as your hunting career progresses and you'll use it for years. That's one reason I may stay away from a 243 but look to the other 3 that have been mentioned a lot 308, 30-06 and 270, for me I'd look at the first 2 calibres.

I am not on the forum but it is mentioned a lot on Hunting BC.....you may want to look at Canadian Gun Nutz forum as it sounds like they have a pretty extensive used marketplace.

You may want to have a look at HuntingBC forum if you're not already on there too. There is a long time member whose username is Gunsmith....and I believe he's on the Island. He may be worth connecting with to look at some firearms? Or....just head out to your local dealer and have some fun shopping and handling.

Last edited:
Jeffy: too bad you didn't buy the gun I was selling in the buy sell trade section this spring
Kicking myself for selling it. Ruger American stainless w/ synthetic stock in 7mm/08 w Bushnell Trophy 4x 12 matte scope. ( didn't care for the scope )
I HIGHLY recommend this cartridge and rifle for an all around island gun. Low recoil, flat shooter, light as a feather, and economical as hell. Ruger Americans are an entry level rifle that "borrows" a lot of ideas from other higher end rifles. End result is a nice gun.

Stop in at your local Canadian Tire, Small sporting goods stores along the way. See what they carry. Look at the price's. I have owned three 260's and two 7-08's because they are awesome, highly efficient factory cartridges that shine in rifle silhouette competitions and also second as excellent medium game rifles. However I would never own one if I had to rely on factory ammo.

Entry level rifle? Lets not forget a Remington 700 BDL(just for example) in 243 is not going to be any lighter (actually very slightly heavier) than the same in 308. Unless your wealthy, you can not afford to buy a cheap rifle and scope. Do it right the first time. I promise you this will save you money in the long run. Been there, done that.

if you are looking for only one rifle my choice is the 6.5 x 55 sweede 140 grain np have taken deer, moose ,elk, goats and blk bear from 50 to 478 yrds , own a 7mm also but it hasnt come out of the safe in about 15 years

Personally I would look at a Browning X-bolt S.S. or Tikka T3 Lite in composite stock. I know its not "entry level", but my experience in the past has always been that if you LOVE the sport (regardless of what it is), you end up spending the extra dollars for what you want. For caliber, I would select .270 Winchester. Like .30-06, you can buy ammo for them almost anywhere. But a flatter trajectory allows this caliber to be used on longer shots reliably as well as shorter shots.

Just got the Tikka T3 stainless camo in 300WSM, after Denis worked his magic it is shorter, lighter and shoots like a dam. With Leupold ultralight it is now my 5.5 lb do all gun. Can't wait to see how the island deer react, will also be my light gun for next safari.

As a first gun for island deer any of the new pre scope mounted entry level weapons in 270, 308 or 06 will work perfectly without denting the wallet to deep. I would shop around, competition if fierce it seams. As many stated its always shot placement with a decent bullet that puts game down.

HM

Second that. I ended up with a Ruger American 30-06 for my started rifle and have been impressed by it. I did tons of research and everything said that it was a great rifle for the low cost. I think it was around $600 from Cabelas shipped to my shop. Save some money on the rifle, and put it into glass.

The rifle is but part of the equation. I would be more inclined to spend more on quality glass (i.e. scope) and perhaps less on a gun. I have lost more than one opportunity at Island deer trying to look down a fogged scope but bought 'quality' since and have never regretted. Something to keep in mind when budgeting for a new set-up.

And further to your original query, I have shot 25-06, .308, 30-06, 7mm RM and 45-70 at Island deer. My two favourites are the .308 and the 45-70 so my vote is .308 but given another choice for the Island I would go .270.

If strictly for island deer... .243 is great. If it's one an all around gun for hunting all over B.C. you are after then .308 is a hard to beat caliber. Reduced-recoil/125gr. available for deer hunting, youth can use it easy enough with those rounds, and you can up to 180gr. for the big stuff. like an island elk LEH if you luck out on one of those. Ammo for .308 is relatively cheap compared to some other calibres and is for sale everywhere, always in stock.

Back