Ice Fishing Videos

FishDoc

You want to go ICE FISHING but you have never gone and you do not know what you will need, then this video is perfect for your education on ICE FISHING for early season BROOK TROUT. One of the feistiest fish under ice. They are highly active in the post turnover oxygen rich waters covered by a thin layer of ice. As soon as you have 4 inches of ice you are ready to walk on without much concern of falling through. 2 inches of clear black ice will support most people under 200 pounds, but if you want to be on the safe side waiting for at least 3 inches is a better bet. Make sure you dress warm and in layers. Try not to work up a sweat or you will end up getting chilled as soon as you stop moving around. You will need an ice auger or hatchet to chop through the ice. Next a scoop to get the chips out of the hole. Then having a simple jig and line with some bait will put you in business. It really can be that simple. Then once you know you are an ice fisherman then you should invest in SONAR, TENTS, CAMERAS, RODS, JAW JACKERS.... The list goes on. But it starts easy and on the cheap side as long as you can get through the ice. Usually fish the week edges and shallower shoals to find feeding fish. These are the productive areas early in the year. I hope you enjoy the video. It is quite long but comprehensive with tips throughout. Best of luck out there this ice season. Thanks for watching.

New Video

Here's the description:
How To Ice Fishing for Big Stocked Rainbow Trout and Brook Trout on Mid Lake Island Structure. If you do not know the underwater structure look at the surrounding shoreline to gain clues about what might be below the ice. You want to find slower slopes, weedy flats and slow transition areas to deeper water. If you find these areas you will find typical feeding areas. It doesn't mean fish will always be there, but you are putting yourself in a high probability location. Then just drill enough holes so you can find the so called SPOT ON THE SPOT. This phenomenon is not always obvious as from one hole to the next there won't be much difference. For some reason fish come into the one hole 90% more than another. These are the areas you are searching for by bunching more grid like patterns over structure and hopping around from hole to hole with a lure and sonar.

Once in place drop a line and see what happens. Certain areas will have more of the small fish. They avoid the larger fish sometimes and eat smaller prey items. The big fish will feed heavily on scuds, beetles, damsels and caddis through the winter. They will also eat minnows if they are present in the lake. So give flashy spoons a try to see if they work.

So many options. Tungsten jigs are always a great choice since they size profile and feel is amazing for what most aquatic insect eating trout want.

The Rods used in the video is a PANFISH 36 and a DEAD 36, both excellent 36 inch rods for a variety of species.

If you have any other questions be sure to leave a comment below and I'll get right back to you.

Thanks for watching and I hope you enjoy my little fishing adventures.

Highway Thru Hell Road Safety and Ice Fishing British Columbia is a video where I took the suggestion of a viewer and put the idea to work in a discussion while fishing regarding WINTER DRIVING. Thanks to Ryan Cao for the suggestion and I hope other people think his idea was worth while as well. I know there are many people who I have talked to who live in the lower mainland and don't venture too far into the mountains during the winter driving season. If they do maybe they will go to Whistler, but seldom tempt fate on the Coquihalla. At the same time I feel this Highway is my access to amazing adventure and really is quite safe if you watch the conditions and drive appropriately for the conditions. First of all you should always check the BC regulations: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/tr... Legal winter tires in British Columbia For roads with winter tire designations, standard passenger, 4-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles must use winter tires or mud and snow tires. Tires with the following symbols are legal: 1) 3-peaked mountain and snowflake 2) M+S (Mud and Snow) Winter tires need to have at least 3.5 mm of tread depth to be legal. We recommend using 4 matching 3-peaked mountain and snowflake tires. They provide better traction on snow and ice and shorter stopping distances in cold temperatures and in severe winter weather. Drivers can be fined on designated BC highways for using winter tires that aren’t legal or in good condition. They may also be turned away from their planned route. Chains on summer tires aren’t an acceptable substitute for winter tires. Coquihalla Web Cam Footage: https://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwayca... https://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwayca... These Resources will help you plan your trip and know what to expect when you hit the mountain roads. Weather is variable and the key is always being prepared for the worst.

This one was a fun video Ice fishing on Heffley Lake up near Sun Peaks Resort just down the highway from Kamloops. Nice little lake that doesn't seem to get much ice fishing pressure and has some really nice fish in it.

Trying out some new plastics I received in this one. Like them because they look like a leech. Check them out in the underwater action at the end of the video.

Rainbow trout was the target species this day.

Finally got my act together. Just could not motivate myself to get packed up this week and head to the ice. I thought I'd go Dec 4th and 5th... It turns out it took me to the 7th of December to actually get things together and head to the ice. I've been trying to edit a bunch of videos and get some content up. Finally left home at 11 am in the morning. What a slow start. Do I even like fishing anymore? Anyways I arrived to the ice at 2 pm... bite time. Sun sets around 4 pm. I drove through rain and snow the whole way. Right when I got to the lake, it just started to snow. The Storm Front actually followed me right to the lake. Perfect Timing. The ice was a shiny smooth sheet soon to be covered by a couple inches of snow. There was a red plastic sign strapped to a tree near the lake saying, "Attention: Thin Ice Danger. DEC 3RD." I guess me and the one leaving the notice have different ideas of what thin ice is. The ice was a solid 6 to 8 inches thick. It wasn't even cracking when I'd jump. Super thick compared to my first time on ice November 17th. Temperature was -2C, and it started to snow right when I got unloaded. It snowed the whole time I was fishing. I always love fishing a snowy storm front. Once I found the brookies, they were very aggressive. Unfortunately, the first one that ate my slender spoon was the biggest. It was fighting well. I could see the fat side and coloration through the ice. Then it became entangled in my sonar, and the line snapped. Fortunately, there were more where that one came from. I must have hooked another 10 brook trout. Kept 4 ranging from about 14 inches to 20 1/4". I fished into the dark, and my last fish came an hour after sunset at 5 pm. The biggest one landed. Those big trout feed after dark. Consider taking a light and trying it out sometime.

How to be successful Ice Fishing Catching Stocked Rainbow Trout and Brook Trout even when the weather changes to a high pressure system causing fish to stop biting and changing behavior.

DAY BREAK ICE FISHING!

How often do you miss the bite window without knowing?

Chances are, if you're an ice fisherman who shows up late, leaves early, and often skunked.... this message is for you!!!

Thursday evening, a snow storm blew through the interior of BC. The bite was ON, and fish were coming through steady even into the dark. If you want to see check out the video of that evening at this link:

• ICE FISHING Brook Trout Night Fishing... "ICE FISHING Brook Trout Night Fishing Snow Storm"

14 hours later, the storm was gone, the sky was clear and blue, the temps had dropped to -8C, and the breeze was minimal at best.

These conditions tell me that a storm front had left, followed by a high pressure system. By far, my least favorite weather pattern to fish as it just seems to kill the bite. It's beautiful to be outside and fishing, but if you want some action, it isn't very conducive to luck.

Despite the weather, I learned something. I showed up to the lake in the dim light an hour before sunrise. As I unpacked the Jeep, the light really increased.

I got out to a spot and popped a few holes. Right away, I was marking fish and catching some small brook trout.

I moved a little deeper and hooked 4 rainbows and landed this beauty fat bow around 19 inches long.

Then it just died! Deadsville. The sky became brighter, so I moved to the shady shoreline and hooked a few more brookies and saw too large fish.

Then they were gone. By 9 a.m., it was pretty much a no fish zone.

I moved into 10 to 15 feet of water when I saw 3 or 4 more disinterested fish swim by, but that was it.

Sunrise was 7:40 am... so it was a short window of maybe 2 hours. It's super easy to miss and be left thinking it's just poor fishing.

Seems to me that during these undesirable weather conditions for fishing, they may still bite, but the window of opportunity becomes even more narrow.

So hit the lake early, set up, and get lucky! Otherwise, it might be a long, slow, mid day of fishing if you sleep in this winter.

Rod pictured is the Circle Tackle Full Circle Series - Walleye XFast 34"

Check out the "Flappers" by Certified Lucky Tackle an excellent plastic that the trout love to absolutely inhale.

I then moved to the second lake for the afternoon. It was about 2 pm when I drilled my holes and dropped down. Right away there was a flurry of action as a few active brook trout were right below my hole. I hooked one and lost it. Then hooked a nice 16 inch brook trout. After that the bite and fish just disappeared. I stayed into the evening without any rekindling of an evening bite.

Warning and Caution to anyone watching this early ice fishing video for brook trout! Do not attempt travel on thin ice under the recommended thickness of 4 inches for foot travel. Even though thinner ice may support you, ice is unpredictable. One step may feel fine, and the next, you are plunging into the water. This is an all or none phenomenon, and once you go through the ice, there is no reversing the situation. When traveling on thin or early ice lakes, go prepared. You need to have your escape plan in tact before you go out. Carry ice picks on you to assist your exit. Stay calm and be ready to get wet. Stay shallow and go with a friend if you can. You may even want to invest in a floating suit or take a life vest. All depends on your comfort level an how likely you are to take a swim.With all the warnings of extreme caution needed when going onto very thin ice out of the way... lets talk about how this is actually done.Know your ice. White ice is soft and clear ice is hard. You'll need thicker white ice to support you than clear ice. If there is a lot of snow on the ice it is likely insulated and not freezing as fast. Clear ice that is open to the cold nights will freeze a lot faster and while it may seem scary to walk on, quite often you are safer on the clear stuff.Ice cracks... all the time. Even when it is 4 feet thick it still cracks. Ice can crack for various reasons like expansion or stress. If the ice is hard the cracks are usually quite loud. If the ice is soft and melting is probably isn't making much cracking and this may actually be the most dangerous ice. So don't associate ice cracking to ice safety. Go slow, watch and feel the ice as you move. Listen to it. Let it tell you what it's thinking. In the end the only way to gain experience is by going slow and playing it safe.I travel light. Leave my gear along the shore and only carry out what I need with me. Dress light and you can't leave all the extra gadgets at home. This isn't the season for tents, heaters and a whole set up. As you can see the ice sags and the water pours out on top. You're better off moving around to different holes then let the water continue to pour out onto the ice.I really have enjoyed using these CIRCLE TACKLE DEAD 36 and PANFISH 36 rods the last few ice seasons. Here is a link for you to check out if you'd like the same.

How to ice fish on a TOUGH WINTER TROUT BITE with deadstick and micro plastics from Certified Lucky Tackle.As winter continues through January into February, something changes in the trout ice fishing world.While some species bite steady through the winter, others bite best early ice.Trout such as Rainbows, Brook trout and others that inhabit smaller, shallower lakes have a change in mood mid ice season.Why does this happen???Oxygen levels drop, weeds have died off and food availability dips to the lowest point of the year.Trout being the most susceptible to oxygen levels makes them the most lethargic during the mid winter lulls.The cold temps also lead to a slowed metabolism compared to the rest of the year.So it's not you... it's the Trout!I find during this period that fish will swim by and barely look at your presentation. If they do look at it then they may only bump your presentation with their nose. Almost like they have been educated by the early ice pressure. This happens on even low pressure lakes though, so I think it's just a behavior typical of mid winter.What can you do to encourage them?Usually the deadstick presentation with a very small presentation like a 5mm tungsten jig and small piece of bait works best. While this is a very boring method of fishing it is quite effective.It's up to you... jig away catching nothing or just sit tight and wait for a bite.

Stump Lake British Columbia Ice Fishing for KOKANEE Salmon and Stocked Rainbow Trout after the Polar Vortex froze the lake. They may not be huge, but these land locked salmon are an iconic species in the North West for ice fishermen.What they lack in size, they make up with their high numbers and excellent flavor.Large schools of fish can often be found suspended over the lake basin. They are attracted by using flashy spoons and will chase most small lures tipped with bait.Having a sonar is super helpful since you will need to find what level in the water column they are swimming by to catch them consistently. Having the awareness of when a fish is in the location allows you to work them into a frenzy to bite.I find slow jigs, and pulling the lure away from them triggers the bite. It also makes it easier to feel the light bites when you are pulling up.Using a faster action rod like this Walleye XFast 34" actually helps you feel the bites easier. If you add a braided line, it helps a lot as well, especially when the fish are down deep. Great setup for your ice fishing needs. I was using a small pink fly and a red/gold wire worm tipped with a meal worm. I also spent some time in the south end on the weedy flats looking for rainbow trout. In this lake 8 to 10 pound rainbows are actually pretty common. Putting in the time can get you hooking a monster. The morning bite was great and plenty of fish were coming in hot to check out my blob fly. The Jaw Jacker was doing its thing to put fish on the ice as well.I hope you enjoy this little fishing trip up to Stump Lake from the Lower Mainland of BC. It was a very enjoyable day to be out fishing.

I was out last Thursday from about 7am till 10:30 am on Edith Lake, 11:30am till 2pm on Stump Lake and then headed over to Kane Valley Road for the last light bite. Plenty of good ice under foot still for safe ice travel. A little bit of shore melt started where people walk on the ice can be easily avoided.

As with the day prior, the kokanee were found deeper in the water column than I usually find them. I was fishing about 80 feet of water and fish were mostly coming through between 40 to 70 feet down. Having the Marcum M5 flasher sonar really helped to get the lure in front of fish scattered throughout the column.

Once the fish notice the falling spoon, they usually turn towards the spoon and rise to meet it. At this point is where the game begins. You may not have much success just wiggling it at the same level. They'll probably lose interest pretty quick.

If you aren't triggering bites, then try slowly lifting the jig away from the fish. This helps you feel the bite and causes a more likely instinct chase and bite response.

If they turn away and swim down, let the spoon drop again and see if they come back to repeat the process. Be ready for very quick, light takes.

Meal worms have worked really well for me as bait. I suspect you really don't need any other bait.

5 mm and 7 mm tungsten jigs work very well. @circle_tackle makes all sorts of sizes and colors. I like the pink or orange colors for kokanee. Tungsten jigs are great as they fall fast and don't get tangled in your flasher like a lighter fly or jig.

Some days, they do like the slower moving lure like a lighter fly or jig though. Just have to feel it out each day and adjust to the circumstances.

Surprisingly, some of the lakes that have been frozen the longest with snow cover only have 4 to 5 inches of ice. While others that froze more recently have 8 to 12 inches of ice with little snow cover.

So be careful out there, always take a little precaution while traveling on ice.

Thursday was a great day! I stayed overnight in Kamloops and hit Edith Lake first thing in the morning. I arrived shortly after 7am and had the lake to myself. While only 15 minutes from Kamloops it tends to not be crazy pressured fishing unless you show up on weekends.

The fish have seen a lot of lures, I'm sure, and the bigger fish can be tricky to fool into biting.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but since I had the lake to myself, I chose a spot I had never fished before. I drilled holes from 20 to 5 feet deep along a shoreline with rocks. When I hit the 7 to 8 foot hole, I knew I was in for something good because before I had my hook down, I saw three marks go by.

I set up the jigging Jaw jacker, and right away, it went off. I caught several smaller brook trout and rainbows. Kept two lovely Pennask bows around 17 inches long. The limit for rainbows is only 2 on this lake. I imagine this helps with population numbers since it's close to town.

I then had a big hit on the jigging Jaw jacker when I was packing up to leave to the next lake after 3 hours of fishing. The rod cranked over, and the line was peeling out. I ran over and landed a beautiful specimen. A fat Pennask. I let her go and finished packing up to head to Stump Lake for Lake, NO. 2.

https://youtu.be/0qwQ3AQ2zt4?feature=shared

What Bait Works Best for Kokanee Ice Fishing, is the question I get very often, so I thought I would try out the three baits I had while fishing STUMP Lake near Merritt BC on this outing.
I know guys are into their use of Corn, but I never use it and always seem to catch plenty of kokanee.
The three baits I use ice fishing were Meal Worms, Night Crawlers and Salt Cured Shrimp.
While night crawlers only caught trout, the kokanee didn't seem to anxious to hit it.
The meal worms created great results as usual and the shrimp also was a favorite of the kokanee and the rainbow trout.
While I do very well catching brook trout and rainbow trout with Night Crawlers I have not had any luck on Kokanee using them.
If you have caught kokanee on night crawlers let me know. Any other bait you like using for kokanee?
I hope you enjoyed watching this video.

I was out last Thursday from about 7am till 10:30 am on Edith Lake, 11:30am till 2pm on Stump Lake and then headed over to Kane Valley Road for the last light bite. Plenty of good ice under foot still for safe ice travel. A little bit of shore melt started where people walk on the ice can be easily avoided.

As with the day prior, the kokanee were found deeper in the water column than I usually find them. I was fishing about 80 feet of water and fish were mostly coming through between 40 to 70 feet down. Having the Marcum M5 flasher sonar really helped to get the lure in front of fish scattered throughout the column.

Once the fish notice the falling spoon, they usually turn towards the spoon and rise to meet it. At this point is where the game begins. You may not have much success just wiggling it at the same level. They'll probably lose interest pretty quick.

If you aren't triggering bites, then try slowly lifting the jig away from the fish. This helps you feel the bite and causes a more likely instinct chase and bite response.

If they turn away and swim down, let the spoon drop again and see if they come back to repeat the process. Be ready for very quick, light takes.

Meal worms have worked really well for me as bait. I suspect you really don't need any other bait.

5 mm and 7 mm tungsten jigs work very well. @circle_tackle makes all sorts of sizes and colors. I like the pink or orange colors for kokanee. Tungsten jigs are great as they fall fast and don't get tangled in your flasher like a lighter fly or jig.

Some days, they do like the slower moving lure like a lighter fly or jig though. Just have to feel it out each day and adjust to the circumstances.

Surprisingly, some of the lakes that have been frozen the longest with snow cover only have 4 to 5 inches of ice. While others that froze more recently have 8 to 12 inches of ice with little snow cover.

So be careful out there, always take a little precaution while traveling on ice.

Thursday was a great day! I stayed overnight in Kamloops and hit Edith Lake first thing in the morning. I arrived shortly after 7am and had the lake to myself. While only 15 minutes from Kamloops it tends to not be crazy pressured fishing unless you show up on weekends.

The fish have seen a lot of lures, I'm sure, and the bigger fish can be tricky to fool into biting.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but since I had the lake to myself, I chose a spot I had never fished before. I drilled holes from 20 to 5 feet deep along a shoreline with rocks. When I hit the 7 to 8 foot hole, I knew I was in for something good because before I had my hook down, I saw three marks go by.

I set up the jigging Jaw jacker, and right away, it went off. I caught several smaller brook trout and rainbows. Kept two lovely Pennask bows around 17 inches long. The limit for rainbows is only 2 on this lake. I imagine this helps with population numbers since it's close to town.

I then had a big hit on the jigging Jaw jacker when I was packing up to leave to the next lake after 3 hours of fishing. The rod cranked over, and the line was peeling out. I ran over and landed a beautiful specimen. A fat Pennask. I let her go and finished packing up to head to Stump Lake for Lake, NO. 2.
Nice work, you’ve had some good days this winter!

https://youtu.be/0qwQ3AQ2zt4?feature=shared

What Bait Works Best for Kokanee Ice Fishing, is the question I get very often, so I thought I would try out the three baits I had while fishing STUMP Lake near Merritt BC on this outing.
I know guys are into their use of Corn, but I never use it and always seem to catch plenty of kokanee.
The three baits I use ice fishing were Meal Worms, Night Crawlers and Salt Cured Shrimp.
While night crawlers only caught trout, the kokanee didn't seem to anxious to hit it.
The meal worms created great results as usual and the shrimp also was a favorite of the kokanee and the rainbow trout.
While I do very well catching brook trout and rainbow trout with Night Crawlers I have not had any luck on Kokanee using them.
If you have caught kokanee on night crawlers let me know. Any other bait you like using for kokanee?
I hope you enjoyed watching this video.
Live maggots work pretty well, better than mealies for me. They used to sell pink died ones at the local gas station which everyone loved for kokes, though they haven’t been around for the last couple years….as of the last couple years I’ve been lazy and just go with the pink gulp ones.

Back