I had trouble reading this drivel......

I doubt record but I'd guess about 1.5-2x what was expected in the returns prior to Aug 1 when the commercials on WCVI open up.

The WCVI commercial Quota this year is tiny

Split that up between the hundreds or so different stocks they target and its like 1 or 2 more returning fish per stock.

@IronNoggin

The WCVI commercial Quota this year is tiny

Split that up between the hundreds or so different stocks they target and its like 1 or 2 more returning fish per stock.

@IronNoggin
Look at the data carefully in the linked chart that I posted. The WCVI commercial fishery gets about 60% of it's total chinook catch from fish bound to either the Columbia River, the Puget Sound or the west coast of OR and WA. Of the remainder, about 30% is from the Frasier and maybe 5-10% from WCVI river stocks. For Puget Sound bound chinook, they make up only about 20-25% of the WCVI catch, about 25% of the Georgia Strait catch and about 5-10% of the WA/OR coast fishery but 80% or so of ALL Puget Sound bound chinook are caught in those three fisheries. Thus shutting down the WCVI and Georgia Strait commercial can increase the numbers of Puget Sound chinook by more than a factor of 2. Similarly, chinook bound for the West coast of VI only make up about 15% of the SE Alaska fishery but that 15% is about 68% percent of ALL the WCVI fish caught. Shutdown that fishery, and there would be 3x as many WCVI bound chinook making it past SE Alaska. (Note: percentages were, in some cases, estimated from visual inspection of the size of the slices in the pie charts).

Look at the data carefully in the linked chart that I posted. The WCVI commercial fishery gets about 60% of it's total chinook catch from fish bound to either the Columbia River, the Puget Sound or the west coast of OR and WA. Of the remainder, about 30% is from the Frasier and maybe 5-10% from WCVI river stocks. For Puget Sound bound chinook, they make up only about 20-25% of the WCVI catch, about 25% of the Georgia Strait catch and about 5-10% of the WA/OR coast fishery but 80% or so of ALL Puget Sound bound chinook are caught in those three fisheries. Thus shutting down the WCVI and Georgia Strait commercial can increase the numbers of Puget Sound chinook by more than a factor of 2. Similarly, chinook bound for the West coast of VI only make up about 15% of the SE Alaska fishery but that 15% is about 68% percent of ALL the WCVI fish caught. Shutdown that fishery, and there would be 3x as many WCVI bound chinook making it past SE Alaska. (Note: percentages were, in some cases, estimated from visual inspection of the size of the slices in the pie charts).

That chart is from 2011 since then the WCVI commercial fishery has but cut to pieces.

If they did a new one it would look vastly different.

That chart is from 2011 since then the WCVI commercial fishery has but cut to pieces.

If they did a new one it would look vastly different.
It's an average over 11 years of catch. The amount of catch has changed drastically - but composition of catch - I rather doubt it.

... The amount of catch has changed drastically - but composition of catch - I rather doubt it.

Doubt whatever you want.
I am both an Area G Troller, as well as being directly involved in DNA collection / analysis.
Area G has for years been specifically both cut WAY back in numbers, and moved into selected timing to avoid stocks of concern (both sides of the Medicine Line). Today's analysis results for that particular fleet would look drastically different from that you are employing to support your position. Really.

Cheers,
Nog

It's an average over 11 years of catch. The amount of catch has changed drastically - but composition of catch - I rather doubt it.

Where's the win fall from most of the BC coast being closed?

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...se-than-forecast-on-northwests-largest-river/

Just 53,143 adult spring chinook had returned over Bonneville Dam, about 35 miles east of Portland, as of Wednesday, according to data from the Fish Passage Center, compared with 85,698 at the same time last year. The 10-year average on that date is 144,878.

Doubt whatever you want.
I am both an Area G Troller, as well as being directly involved in DNA collection / analysis.
Area G has for years been specifically both cut WAY back in numbers, and moved into selected timing to avoid stocks of concern (both sides of the Medicine Line). Today's analysis results for that particular fleet would look drastically different from that you are employing to support your position. Really.

Cheers,
Nog
If you look at the data from Pacific Salmon Commission's Chinook Technical Committee reports (https://www.psc.org/publications/technical-reports/technical-committee-reports/chinook/) - see See appendix E5 of TCCHINOOK (18-1) V2 - the overall story doesn't change much through 2016. For example of the SE AK troll fishery, most of their chinook are Columbia River,WCVI and NCBC bound fish and their catch makes up a substantial portion of all the harvest of those stocks.

SEAlaskaTrollFishery.png

Similarly, if you look at the North BC troll fishery, the majority of the fish are bound to the CR and the WA and OR coast.

NBCTrollFishery.png

If one looks at the WCVI troll fishery, the percentage of the catch that is Puget sound bound has been reduced in the past 6-10 years but the rest of the composition is fairly similar to the 1999-2010 data.

WCVCITrollFishery.png

Back