hydraulic steering

ratherbefishing

Any recommendations as to who might have the best prices on a hydraulic steering kit on the Island/Lower Mainland? Getting awful tired of the cable steering when the kicker is hooked up...

You could build that yourself for A LOT less money. Find a hydraulic ram at a wrecker or industrial place, mount it to your motor, and plumb it yourself. Not complicated.

You could build that yourself for A LOT less money. Find a hydraulic ram at a wrecker or industrial place, mount it to your motor, and plumb it yourself. Not complicated.

I bought my Baystar kit on ebay a couple of years ago for a great price. Installed it on my Yamaha 150hp. I love having hydraulic steering and recommend it highly.

quote:Originally posted by chris73

??? Im pretty sure theres more to it than that...

quote:Originally posted by chris73

\

This steers your boat, and makes you get home!! There is a HELL of a lot more to it then a simple hydraulic ram. Any iron ram will turn into a steaming pile of sh*T in a matter of time. If you look at the base of a Sea Star helm, you'll see that the in/out ports are TINY, about the size of a pencil lead. I can't see ANY industrial ram being of the size that will work off that small amount of flow, and be "weak" enough to not bust the steering tab off the motor.

Ooops, sorry to fly off the handle, guess I've had a few wobblys, but steering shouldn't be taken lightly in my books.

Well, if have seen it being done - looks pretty simple and has worked for quite some years now... Haven't built it myself yet but I would not be afraid of taking it on....Just my two cents.

With the Seastar/Baystar kits matched to your motor type you don't have to worry about the ram having the right throw length to match the turning radius of the outboard, you also don't have to worry about the helm fluid capacity and how many turns of the wheel it is going to take you to go from hard port to hard starboard so I'm thinking for the cost of the kit... buy the kit.

The sea star kit is working fine on our boat but I would have to say that I may not bother spending the money on the new boat to convert. On smaller boats even though the motor is not turning once you install hydrualics when you stand to one side to work a downrigger, if you have a deeper V hull you cant the boat to one side and the keel acts like a rudder and turns the boat (like how you turn a kayak by leaning the keel over) So bottom line you don't end up getting as straight of a line as I had hoped for in anything under 22' with a V hull...

Make absoluely sure not to use plumbers tape when you install the hyraulic lines to the helm and ram, use liquid pipe dope. The dealer who installed mine used tape and I was forever having to flush the helm and filter my h-fluid after the tape broke down into peices in the system and started clogging the valves :-( Same old story if you want anything done right, do it yourself!!!

Back