Hunting 2022 lets see the pics!!!!!

wolf

Ill start off with how my year went .. First off was a moose hunt in northern BC where we got our moose in very short order and was WAY to hot 26 by mid day and -4 at night?? Shot the first moose evening of the first day ,took the next day to get out skin ,clean to cooler . next morning we went out and buddies got the 2nd one that morning. FAST
Fast forward to november for me only, off to Alberta for my Favorite hunt WHITETAIL and MULE.
After prescouting for 2 days saw a nice target buck and wanted that one as he was a nice mature buck . so head out opening day (as its wed to sat in that zone)
First hour oh look what comes out with about 50 other deer of bucks and does . One shot upper neck and thats it...after that we took a manegement mule deer after looking for 5 days for a monster as rancher wanted it out of gene pool to me meat is meat. and im happy with that...there will always be time to get my trophy mule deer one day...So here are the pics of my season along with the many treats ive made already!!! hope all the hunters had a great season and post your sucesses, im sure walleyes hammered like he always does!!!!
1670251993251.png1670252046801.png1670252136990.png1670252169308.png1670252188383.png1670252216861.png1670252231471.png1670252262880.png1670252357730.png1670252371391.png

Nice Work Gents!

Due to AHD wiping out a LOT of the Island Blacktails, I hung the bow & rifle up on them this year again.
Where their numbers were once good to very good, we now see biological deserts.
Not going to hunt them under these circumstances...

Leaving Thursday for the later archery season in the OK.
Hoping to be able to contribute to this thread upon my return...

Cheers,
Nog

Nice bull! I had a good season up north too. We went 3/3 on bulls. Here’s mine
You look like ALOT further north then me lol your not in shorts. very nice bull. I have one like that trust me id shoot it , but prefer the smaller ones

Some nice animals boys.

And don't worry Roy, we all say we like the small ones when we don't get a chance at the big one lol.

Had a great year on the moose hunt this year. My son and I got our 2 bulls. Both nice animals in early season shape and large bodied animals, lots of prime meat. On the deer side my plans fell through a bit for my prime hunting at home. Got severely sick on my 2 weeks off in Nov and only got out the last 5 days home. I was after 2 particular bucks this year and never got a chance at either of them as they went full nocturnal on me. Had more than one chance at some lesser bucks but passed. Couple decent whitetail for may but just not what I wanted. Also got out for a couple good goose shoots with my boys and were able to put a few birds in the freezer.

52400343041_c2d7b94de9_z.jpg

52400630869_0fd5c4c7dc_z.jpg

52545589466_72c0b98dcc_z.jpg

52400771985_01cf97ff5d_z.jpg

52545884454_2d62f37547_z.jpg

And don't worry Roy, we all say we like the small ones when we don't get a chance at the big one lol.
LOL LOL
I have Ishot what we called "mr chewey" a few years back well lets say after 2 weeks hanging and weighing in at 680 lb minus the shanks yes he was a monster for that area . we had to carve the gravy ... he was then turned into more ground and sauages after we tried 1 roast and 1 pack of steaks. here is a pic of MR !!!!! trust me if I saw again yes he would go down as i hunt for meat . mostly unless im in your province where you can paick and choose a bit more...then ill look for a trophy

Attachments

• DSCN3779.JPG
    DSCN3779.JPG
    501.1 KB · Views: 108
WOW you found a island blacktail...thats like getting a 200 class whitetail... LOL LOL good on you. I cant tell you one thing on the southern partof VI there isnt much for deer here in the woods unless you go to oakbay, the disease really hurt , also came across some carcasses thats are suspect to poaching other day. Im just very thankful for the meat in my freezer and some I can give to my family asa treat , As the price of meat and groceries as we know is getting oput of hand...
Congrats to the hunters that did get to put meat in the freezer...

I had no trips off island this year and did not hunt until November due to the heat and being busy.
Best part of season was getting both my son and daughter through CORE, buying more rifles and spending more time than usual at the range. Also getting a couple days in the bush with each kid. Unfortunately no deer for them this year but good experience gained snd they are ready for next year where we will put in more effort.
Definitely harder to find island deer this year. Yes the disease has had big effect South Island and I have other theories on why my north island trip was a bust this year. I put in a total of 9 days this year. 5 of them with kids.
Last Sunday in the snow I got the job done on a solo mission. So at least got something in the freezer. B3E5955B-1FD8-479A-8793-6E5A46A97FF1.jpeg

WOW you found a island blacktail...thats like getting a 200 class whitetail... LOL LOL good on you. I cant tell you one thing on the southern partof VI there isnt much for deer here in the woods unless you go to oakbay, the disease really hurt , also came across some carcasses thats are suspect to poaching other day. Im just very thankful for the meat in my freezer and some I can give to my family asa treat , As the price of meat and groceries as we know is getting oput of hand...
Congrats to the hunters that did get to put meat in the freezer...
Yea. Feel pretty lucky with the Blacktail. Been out 7 x's and only seen 2 deer. The guy I got and a doe. Seem to be a lot more skittish than last year. See the tracks in the snow, but they seem to head for the thickets during the days. Will give it one more try on Sat. Love hunting the blacktails.

You look like ALOT further north then me lol your not in shorts. very nice bull. I have one like that trust me id shoot it , but prefer the smaller ones
This is my 7th moose, and by far the largest. I was a little worried he might be tough, but he's as tender as any other moose I've killed. He was still fairly early in the rut, so I think that helps.

Had some good success this year, but put the time in and hunted hard in October.

Mostly at the mule deer honey hole.

Had the oct 1st weekend with a big buck jumping away at 200yards and never stopping to give me the look back.. the thing that nightmares are made of, the image you see when you close your eyes. I know this place holds good deer numbers and good genetics, and the lay of the land makes for some fun hunting, with lots of variables and transition areas.

I was determined to get one thanksgiving, even though it was abbreviated due to a buddies commitments, we were acting like it was a regular weekend, anyway.

Back up to the mountain and the place is actually quiet, compared to usual thanksgiving weekends previous.

We decided to settle in to a spot half way up the mountain and set out for a wander.

Myself and two friends split up for the morning hours and glassed our asses off hike our asses off, glass and glass and hike and glassed some more.

We are full recon mode getting a lay of where the deer out and working the vantage points that have been productive in other years. Without any bucks spotted.

We meet back at the truck around 4pm and all we have seen is for fawn doe fawn doe doe doe doe fawn etc. Good numbers but classic low buck ratio.

As we are eating a very late lunch at the truck I am scanning the ridge for movement and notice a doe walking up out of the low side, around 150yds away.

She must have been bedded in the thick stuff and was alerted to our presence. Not a few minutes later a buck! He was trotting then sniffing them trotting then sniffing, with its nose down to the ground. On the same trail the doe had taken over the ridge.

I grabbed my riffle and found a convenient stump for a rest. It was a little shaky so I had to re adjust my body position and kicked some rocks by accident. Alerting the buck, with the tumbling rocks but my rest is solid.

The buck turned his head and is glued on me. I line the crosshairs up with his breadbasket... and the .308 barks.

It sends him down, a second bullet finished him quickly.

I take a moment and remember how thankful I am, and grateful the for the meat I will have for the freezer. A beautiful young 3x3 mule deer buck that is a fine looking deer.

ACF3002B-C913-4198-9C09-1F02A20B61B1.png

It was an easy drag back to the truck with the three of us :)
As night fell and we celebrated with some IPA's , a bonfire and some laughs.

The next morning, on the drive out, our last chance as we are headed home that day. Wevdescend the mountain, and I spot a deer 400m up in the slash....

I was surprised I caught the white rump with the naked eye, but with a closer look with the 10x's shows it happeneds to be a buck.

My buddy took his time and lined up a shot with his 7mm mag and let the buck have it.

Watching the buck drop in the vapour trail is always very exciting.

A fork horn, again, a beautiful deer that will fill our familys freezer.

320BCA83-40C5-4818-A3E1-6DAC5E51340D.png

A quick celebration and we drag the buck down the hill, and we were on our way home.

Happy hunters on thanksgiving weekend.

Now I had previously booked a buncha time off at the end of October and was able to help another group of buddies who are new to hunting with trying to there tags, there first ever deer tags, although we got spring bears may long as a group together earlier this year. This was there first "deer camp". We were looking for any buck so we went back to the hole.

In this area we do a lot of spot and stalk, but still hunting the old deactivated roads produced good for us so I follow buddy #1 down an over grown road.As we wander I'm seeing sign everywhere. We keep slowly walking, where we then bump the big body of a deer as it's very close and trying to get some distance.

I whisper at my friend with intent "buck!"

He freezes like he's stoned cold and can't do anything.
My buddies shocked.... locked up.

So is the buck looking right at us at 70 yards now.

I can tell the buck has a big rack and I'm wondering why the gun hasn't barked or even been brought up to his face.

I say "calm down and breathe. ..(nothing).... do you not see it?" I ask. He is shaking so I think he sees it. He then takes a deep breath steps forward raises his gun.

Bang! .30/06 goes of and the buck drops with a spine shot instantly.

A beautiful 4x4 buck with browtines. What a first deer. It's a big bodied deer that was loaded with fat, we were all so happy.DE29ADAC-6B2C-4983-BEBD-1000445F7CEF.png
We cleaned the buck up and had a great evening by the campfire cooking deer heart, tounge and tenderloin for dinner.

The season ended in the blacktail woods with less trips then I'd like, and only saw some does and no bucks but that is hunting!

I'm a so lucky to have good buddies and to be able to get out with them, and hunt these beasts!!!

Some great animals above in this thread!

I'm already excited for next year!

Last edited:
Redfern Keily 2020. Lots of climbing on foot and horseback that day. We climbed above the tree line and coaxed this bull out repeatedly trying to count points and evaluate for 90 minutes. He came up the mountain and eyeballed us from 25 yards and went into hiding. Called him out again and (correctly) judged him legal. Downed with a broadside and follow up shot.

Attachments

• 360F7CFA-31E5-4D62-8661-6CA81A22D8A3.jpeg
    360F7CFA-31E5-4D62-8661-6CA81A22D8A3.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 71
Selected Pix

Sikanni River , Trimble Lake, trail head

Attachments

• 4A5FEED3-6012-4961-AFB1-AEAED74EC3B0.jpeg
    4A5FEED3-6012-4961-AFB1-AEAED74EC3B0.jpeg
    705.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 308F9DB2-5A2F-4EA8-B22C-8F02FB826C5B.jpeg
    308F9DB2-5A2F-4EA8-B22C-8F02FB826C5B.jpeg