How to do your own motor services and keep a warentee.

Birdsnest

Just wondering if anyone out there is doing there own services on their motors while maintaining the warrantee. Shop rates are high these days and its pretty basic mechanics.
Thanks in advance for comments.

I think as long as you keep a record of the fluid changes, and corresponding invoices for oil,lube and filters
you should be ok.
I've always done my own, mind you it was never under a warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
it has to be serviced with a registered shop or its null or every backyarder would do it ... should have a bought a non warranty used then IMO thats how they get you BUT you dont have to go to the dealer thats the part they dont tell you...

after the warranty do whatever you want....

This is from the Yamaha website indicating if you can provide proof you have done the service with receipts, you should be covered

YAMAHA OUTBOARD WARRANTY POLICY

b) The CUSTOMER has followed the break-in and storage instructions contained in the Owner's Manual, and all other instructions shown in the Owner's Manual;
c) The CUSTOMER can provide record of maintenance having been performed as recommended in the Owner's Manual;
d) Requests for repairs under warranty have been made as prescribed in Section D.
2. This warranty does not cover the repair of damage resulting from abuse or neglect of the OUTBOARD. Examples of abuse and neglect include, but are not limited to:
a) Racing, competition use, modification of original parts, abnormal strain;
b) Use of lubricants, oils and fuel/oil mixtures other than those recommended in the Owner's Manual, improperly installed accessories or use of parts or accessories that are not equivalent in design and quality to
genuine Yamaha parts.

it has to be serviced with a registered shop or its null or every backyarder would do it ... should have a bought a non warranty used then IMO thats how they get you BUT you dont have to go to the dealer thats the part they dont tell you...

after the warranty do whatever you want....
What's a registered shop? Never had a problem with warranty and I do all my own work.

You can service any product yourself as long as you document your servicing and can provide receipts. Ie a log book with receipts and dates that match.

I've been told you must take it back to the dealer for the 20 hour service, beyond that you can do your own servicing. What I've learned is that if you have a problem during the warranty period (for me it was signs of water in my 9.9 gearcase) don't let them say they found nothing (did no repair) and take the motor back. I did this with the understanding that they recorded the problem and if this continued beyond the warranty period it would be fixed because they had records of it leaking while still under warranty. Well it continued and I decided I wanted the seals replaced because if nothing was done it wasn't just going to stop on its own. Guess what, no record of it, no warranty and I paid for the repairs. I should have said ...even though your tests couldn't find how the water got in there...it did. If you do nothing it won't stop...so try something and we can go from there.

mechanics go to school and take training for a reason.

If you are working on a 9.9 the risk is a lot less at $4k than working on a 300 hp risk at $25k I was told that the 20 hr and any major work like the 400 hr valve tunning and head zinc check must be done by a certified dealer or your warranty is void. Yamaha

call a few dealers that service your type of engine and see whar they say because when and if you need warranty work you will be calling them and then there will be no surprises

I've heard Yami is difficult to deal with on warranty stuff. Not so for Suzuki. That said, I will do my own oil changes, filters, plugs etc. But, I take mine in for scheduled servicing on everything else. Another must do is I have the shop change out my impeller every season.

Buy dealer parts, keep reciepts,document work including lots of pictures, and let the dealer service centre know what you are doing, with documentation.

Here's a couple screenshots from a Yammy manual. It lists what you can do and what the shop is to do. I'd follow this...it's literature straight from Yamaha. Keep proof of what you did, and so long as you stuck to what they say you may do, you should be safe.

e7a9a3ad.jpg

jyteby3a.jpg

Sorry...can't seem to get the second shot to upload in full quality.

MY BAD Sorry didnt think he was talking about outboards thought he was talking about a vehicle.. must be the after effects...was in the hospital all weekend

But still id take it to the shop then then have NO recourse if something happens you have to PROVE your innocence sort of speakif they do it and it F@#Ks up its on them as they are the one doing the changes etc... better fighting chance IMO

Just wondering if anyone out there is doing there own services on their motors while maintaining the warrantee. Shop rates are high these days and its pretty basic mechanics.
Thanks in advance for comments.

Jay

You can call Merc and get the low down directly from them on what you can and can't do to stay within warrantee; just have your serial # ready when you call there service dept and they will pass you through to a tech; make sure you get his name and such. I know there has been a lot of talk on other forums about this and from what I have read is that you should get the OK from Merc Marine and to keep every single receipt for parts and fluids that you change; that way if it is a failure of the part or a pc of the engine you can show that you have been doing your fluid changes or using the proper oils and parts. Believe it or not Merc will give you the ok to do alot of things but it is up to you to make sure they are installed properly; if there is a failure do to something you did then you are on the hook; but at the same time as long as you have receipts for the parts; and it is a part failure then you are covered. Give them a call and at least then you know what you can and can't do directly from them!

Back