How much do you use your little boat/dingy?

Thinking of upgrading my dingy to use it more often, taking the kids out crabbing and jigging. For those of you with bigger boats do you use a little one a bunch when you have the option? Thanks
I use mine on trips a ton. We have rod holders on it and use it for exploring and jigging and crabbing. Nice to leave the mother-ship on anchor and get back to the waterline. I even bring it up to the Cokanagan for lake fishing and hunting adventures. Mine is 8' with a 2.5HP. I'd go with a bigger motor because mine isn't fast at all.

Thinking of upgrading my dingy to use it more often, taking the kids out crabbing and jigging. For those of you with bigger boats do you use a little one a bunch when you have the option? Thanks
We have a 30 foot boat and if we are cruising away from docks we always have our inflatable. It gets used a lot because our dogs need trips to the beach. We have a 3 hp. Merc on it.

Personally I really like having a small boat to do little tasks. I haven't gotten around to putting the little 1.2 Tanaka on my dinghy yet but even rowing, I often prefer just taking the dinghy to close by spots. Maybe it's just me but for about 50% of the year I'd be happier with a 12' RIB than my double eagle. You don't worry about beating it up, you never think about fuel, launching and retrieving is a breeze...granted I've spent the last year building a smaller, simpler boat so obviously I have my preferences but I am a firm believer that the simpler the boat, the more fun it is to use (obviously until you need a bigger boat to handle weather).

If instead of the 8' dinghy I built, I built a weatherly 14 footer or something...I'd probably have it out at Thrasher or Porlier every weekend for most of the year. I know that's past dinghy size but it's a similar concept: if the small boat can be fished comfortably with however many people you'd usually fish with, then it becomes a fun way to do stuff instead of just a mooring ferry. That's my take, anyway.

I should add that I do not have davits nor do I intend on ever leaving my dinghy on my swimgrid. I hate the look. I hate the obstruction of the view. I hate the added weight. I hate fishing obstruction. Mine is rolled up until we get to a location that I need it and then I inflate it on the deck and throw it out the back. I pull it through the door or tow it when I move. I'll usually even drop an anchor and ball to save my anchor spot if we take the mother ship for a cruise.

I'll usually even drop an anchor and ball to save my anchor spot if we take the mother ship for a cruise.
I've heard this is major violation of the rules of the anchorage! I have never deflated, I haul up onto the roof which is a bit of a pain.

Thanks for the feedback, I think a 8 footer with a 6hp is the ticket for me. Inspired by guys like this.

I upgraded from a 9’6” with a 8hp to a Walker Bay Generation 360 11’. Committed to towing it now but it is so much more capable. It’s a Center console with 40hp yammy. Once I got the towing setup dialed in it’s easy. I use it a ton to go exploring and fishing with the kids. Just last night we went for a after dinner whale watching tour with my wife, 3 kids, and in laws in it and it still does 20 knots and feels safe and stable. I tow it behind by Bayliner 3288

Attachments

• FA306D4A-298E-4BB3-8177-56F9A55066AB.jpeg
    FA306D4A-298E-4BB3-8177-56F9A55066AB.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 31
I upgraded from a 9’6” with a 8hp to a Walker Bay Generation 360 11’. Committed to towing it now but it is so much more capable. It’s a Center console with 40hp yammy. Once I got the towing setup dialed in it’s easy. I use it a ton to go exploring and fishing with the kids. Just last night we went for a after dinner whale watching tour with my wife, 3 kids, and in laws in it and it still does 20 knots and feels safe and stable. I tow it behind by Bayliner 3288
How fast do you tow it at and at what distance? I typically cruise at close to 30 MPH and tried towing the 8 footer with the engine on and it was just too sketchy for me. I see the big cruisers towing 14 foot whalers but they tend to be going quite slow.

How fast do you tow it at and at what distance? I typically cruise at close to 30 MPH and tried towing the 8 footer with the engine on and it was just too sketchy for me. I see the big cruisers towing 14 foot whalers but they tend to be going quite slow.
I cruise at 15 knots, usually for an hour or 2 to where we are going. I put the leg down just a little so the skeg is in the water about 6”. That helps it track straight. I’ve got a 40’ tow line but just bought at 150’ that I’m going to try various lengths to see what is best. With the motor fully out of the water it starts to track side to side pretty bad over 9-10 knots

I cruise at 15 knots, usually for an hour or 2 to where we are going. I put the leg down just a little so the skeg is in the water about 6”. That helps it track straight. I’ve got a 40’ tow line but just bought at 150’ that I’m going to try various lengths to see what is best. With the motor fully out of the water it starts to track side to side pretty bad over 9-10 knots
Oh wow that's a great point I've never considered. It is the side tracking that gets the nerves going.

We cruise at about 26 - 28 mph so there's no way I'm towing our inflatable. The tow bridle is attached to 2 glued on pads, remember. When we are getting to somewhere it's up on the davit. Running, I don't even notice it's there. Sure handy once we arrive at our destination.

I should add that I do not have davits nor do I intend on ever leaving my dinghy on my swimgrid. I hate the look. I hate the obstruction of the view. I hate the added weight. I hate fishing obstruction. Mine is rolled up until we get to a location that I need it and then I inflate it on the deck and throw it out the back. I pull it through the door or tow it when I move. I'll usually even drop an anchor and ball to save my anchor spot if we take the mother ship for a cruise.

An air floor 8' dingy is on our list of things to buy for the boat.

The pump thing seems to be confusing . I have been told foot pumps will take up to 30 minutes to inflate an 8 foot dingy and the electric pumps they have for sale seem to be rather cheap and flimsy.

I am sure there is a good pump out there, I would prefer to find it before I buy 10 unsatisfactory ones first.

To give back here is the high pressure pump I have had for 20 years . It has fixed motorcycle tires from Inuvik to Turkey

Last edited:
Viair,arb,smittybuilt etc all have on board air systems that look nice and mounted in the right location should last a long time. If I was planning to use a dinghy often and not mount/tow that’s the route I would go. I have 2 pelican 8’ kayaks they’re ok but can’t carry much and can be tippy certainly not ideal.

We cruise at about 26 - 28 mph so there's no way I'm towing our inflatable. The tow bridle is attached to 2 glued on pads, remember. When we are getting to somewhere it's up on the davit. Running, I don't even notice it's there. Sure handy once we arrive at our destination.
I cruise at 26-28 mph as well which is why I had a roof rack custom made after confirming the weight capacity with Campion. I have an 8’ RIB so the hull has a tow eye built in but I still wouldn’t be comfortable towing at speed. I went with the RIB because it is a lot more stable stepping down into it off the swim platform for middle-aged folks with bad knees than at sea level with an inflatable floor. It weighs 78 lbs so it takes a bit of wiggling in stages to get it back up on the roof by myself but it’s manageable. I have the 6 hp Yammy 4 stroke because the 4 hp is the same motor and it isn’t too much for the dinghy. I also fabricated a small bracket for it off the main pod/bracket after the first season of stumbling over the motor on the floor. And I bought the retractable wheels for it after lugging it 300 yards across the beach at Savary Island. Now I just need to use it more.

Attachments

• 6AAA8850-2655-4D39-89A3-A7ACD4671D32.jpeg
    6AAA8850-2655-4D39-89A3-A7ACD4671D32.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 47
I cruise at 26-28 mph as well which is why I had a roof rack custom made after confirming the weight capacity with Campion. I have an 8’ RIB so the hull has a tow eye built in but I still wouldn’t be comfortable towing at speed. I went with the RIB because it is a lot more stable stepping down into it off the swim platform for middle-aged folks with bad knees than at sea level with an inflatable floor. It weighs 78 lbs so it takes a bit of wiggling in stages to get it back up on the roof by myself but it’s manageable. I have the 6 hp Yammy 4 stroke because the 4 hp is the same motor and it isn’t too much for the dinghy. I also fabricated a small bracket for it off the main pod/bracket after the first season of stumbling over the motor on the floor. And I bought the retractable wheels for it after lugging it 300 yards across the beach at Savary Island. Now I just need to use it more.
I like the bracket idea.

An air floor 8' dingy is on our list of things to buy for the boat.

The pump thing seems to be confusing . I have been told foot pumps will take up to 30 minutes to inflate an 8 foot dingy and the electric pumps they have for sale seem to be rather cheap and flimsy.

I am sure there is a good pump out there, I would prefer to find it before I buy 10 unsatisfactory ones first.

To give back here is the high pressure pump I have had for 20 years . It has fixed tires from Inuvik to Turkey

I can inflate my 8 foot in under 3 minutes with my foot pump

We picked this 10' inflatable up at Costco last year on sale and put a 9.9 Merc electric start on it. We added running lights, and custom built rod holders & downrigger mounts. It has a high capacity manual pump that takes <10 minutes to blow up, and we've towed it up & down the coast this year on our sailing trips. It tows straight & true at up to 20kmh when we are under power, and it planes well at up to 30kmh with 2 people on board. My son loves it.....named it "The Baconator". Pretty happy with it overall.

Attachments

• 20210628_102033 Close Up.jpg
    20210628_102033 Close Up.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 46
I like the bracket idea.
I was my BIL’s idea and I had the base made out of 1/2” aluminum and fastened a couple of layers of 1/2” Starboard to sandwich the main bracket. It’s held on with three bolts and I can remove it if I want to. It’s handy to tie the dinghy alongside and transfer from the bracket to the dinghy from inside it. Most of the time I just row the dinghy to shore but on longer excursions I take the little outboard with.

Attachments

• F3E35E55-70BB-448B-9360-68CFB38985D4.jpeg
    F3E35E55-70BB-448B-9360-68CFB38985D4.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 39
Back