Honda 7.5 rectifier wanted

RogersonCrusoe

Hey all,
Just finished doing a full rebuild of an old Honda four stroke 7.5/10hp four stroke (the blue one from the 80s). Much to my surprise the rectifier was fried and the wires fell out. Not that it's critical to the engine, but I would like it to charge my accessory battery.

Wondering if anyone has a spare around that they're willing to sell?

Hey RC.I own a 1990 8hp Honda myself and have been through this.As you may already know,these rectifiers are now obsolete and only used ones are around.There's a fairly good tutorial on youtube called "Honda outboard charging
Problem fixed" that shows how to test and replace the rectifier with a simple cheap one bought at a electronics shop.
There was a guy up in Nanaimo selling used ones for $40.00 each but he actually talked me out of it in the end.He explained that unless your running your kicker at full throttle,there's very little charging benefit at all. The stator is only a 5 amp unit and at trolling speed your only getting maybe 1 amps worth which wouldn't even be enough to power your sounder,let alone all your
other electronics.Just some food for thought.

Thanks for the advice FF. I had considered just leaving it out of the motor - I've been running my downriggers and washdown pump off an uncharging battery for probably 10-12 hours already and there's been very minimal drain.

I'll watch that video when I get home from work and see where that leads.

That's what I ended up doing RC.The newer model kickers with an electric start have far better charging systems in them.Some of them as high as 18 amps.My old Honda runs so good though,and I doubt it's going to give up the ghost
any time soon,so I'll just live with it.I can troll for two 8 hr. trips with downriggers,chartplotter,sounder,and a little use
from my high powered stereo system and my house battery is still fine.Throw it on charger overnight and it's good for
another couple of days.Good enough for me!

Back