Home forge

Loghauler

Is anyone else into pounding pieces of steel into usable objects 73458030523__81AD8B2A-0695-4493-81EC-0E6097915BB7.jpeg
image.jpg
Just beginning to learn this skill the Bowie is my first piece it’s made from the end of a pike pole the working end with the back side cut off and the kitchen set is out of a disc that works farm land after the plow
I have a few more discs to play with
I don’t get out much but it’s very settling to pound steel
Just wear earplugs ! Wow

Handle is rosewood
Gonna make that my signature style

Attachments

• 73458058408__4608EA46-8983-4775-A895-D984B174470A.jpeg
    73458058408__4608EA46-8983-4775-A895-D984B174470A.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 4
Is anyone else into pounding pieces of steel into usable objects View attachment 105983
View attachment 105984
Just beginning to learn this skill the Bowie is my first piece it’s made from the end of a pike pole the working end with the back side cut off and the kitchen set is out of a disc that works farm land after the plow
I have a few more discs to play with
I don’t get out much but it’s very settling to pound steel
Just wear earplugs ! Wow
I built my own a few years back. Ended up selling everything when I had to get rid of my shop. I really miss it. I started a thread on it on here

Any pics on your thread

So you’re really good at this !
So awesome 👏🏻
That would’ve been a great forge for long blades
I just want to make some wall hangers and useful kitchen knives maybe a few camp and fillet knives
And of course a bearded hatchet is high on the list as a first forge weld
I’m just a grass hopper oh great master lol
I wouldn’t even want to attempt Damascus with out a power hammer wow didn’t fully read but I will

So you’re really good at this !
So awesome 👏🏻
That would’ve been a great forge for long blades
I just want to make some wall hangers and useful kitchen knives maybe a few camp and fillet knives
And of course a bearded hatchet is high on the list as a first forge weld
I’m just a grass hopper oh great master lol
I wouldn’t even want to attempt Damascus with out a power hammer wow didn’t fully read but I will
Not at all. This was my first crack at any of this. It was a lot of fun to learn

Ya it’s just neat to be in the moment and make a tool that can be of use
Gonna be interesting if the disc takes its old shape back in the quench I kinda hammered it out on both sides and peened it a bit
It’s good steel so who knows
Will be interesting
It’s not about making lots as it is very time consuming
But it sure is neat I can’t even believe I made my first knife first time no cracks !
Second one cracked worked it too cold I guess
The kitchen knife set is gonna be more about fit and finish ie the grinding less hammer work
And yes I need to get to the metal store and get some good material so I won’t have to hammer as much

Back