Home Again (Finally!)

IronNoggin

Well Folks, back home after a couple of months chasing springs on the WCVI. Caught a few, saw some biggies, and had a fair amount of fun! Some ups, some downs. For those interested in West Coast Van Isle fishing, I filed a detailed report on the other site: http://forum.fishbc.com/index.php?showtopic=33834

Nice to be back! Looking forward to a fun upcoming season!

TechnoWeenies were busy while I was away. Of course the job ain't complete, but a good start to the website: http://members.shaw.ca/dreamweaversportsfishing/

Hope & trust you're all having a good spring, and getting out for some FUN!

Catch ya on the Pond!

Cheers,
Nog

Welcome back. Nice site so far. Very clean. Not too cluttered.

Hijack attempt...So how bout them Peetzez Nog. I was interested to read on your site that you keep some aboard. How do you like them. I need an inexpensive 4th line and was looking at a Peetz in Berrys the other day.

Best Regards, Dog.

Welcome back. Nice site so far. Very clean. Not too cluttered.

Hijack attempt...So how bout them Peetzez Nog. I was interested to read on your site that you keep some aboard. How do you like them. I need an inexpensive 4th line and was looking at a Peetz in Berrys the other day.

Best Regards, Dog.

quote:Originally posted by dog

...So how bout them Peetzez Nog. I was interested to read on your site that you keep some aboard. How do you like them.

Started using those antique Peetz when I first got down here from the Frozen North. They are interesting, somewhat nostalgic to work. As they're a larger reel, best to employ them on larger fish. A word of caution though if you're considering using them for charter purposes! Most folks that walk onboard won't have had any experience with them, and the majority seem to find out just why they were termed "knucklebusters" in quick order! A couple years back, an Alberta Rancher (REAL Cowboy, damned tough!) managed to hockey stick a # 5 commercial stainless hook on a serious spring just outside of the Gap at Nitinat with one. During the process, he also broke his thumb, right in the joint, in several places. Die-Hard though, fished all of that day and the next, with what appeared to be a flesh cantelope hanging off his right hand! [^]

Personally, I like them. I chiefly use the larger diameter jobs, that huge spool certainly makes taming big springs relatively easy! Gotta get the palming thing down though...

On the downside, they are heavy (clunky), no real brake to speak of (when the tension is applied via the wingnut, the pressure works both ways so I simply turn it free) and can indeed inflict some pretty serious damage in inexperienced hands! Remind me sometime to extoll the virtues of the short-lived model with the expanding crank arm!!! OUCH!

Also play with other antiques, kinda a sickness of mine actually. Here's a couple of pix of a Goite Reel made in 1926:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Tracks/Goite_1st.sized.jpg

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Tracks/Goite_1.sized.jpg

Used it like a centerpin to tag a few steelhead, like a moocher and tagged numerous sockeye and a handfull of coho as well. Then one day got too cocky for my own good, and ran a few springs with her. Third one of the morning split the side rails, and although I did manage to land the bugger (34 pounds) the oldy got permanently retired right then. Liked the fun though, so now have a couple more on the boat for the more adventuresome that come along. Man, you thought screwing up with a Peetz was painfull! These little guys bring a whole new world of hurt into the picture when handled wrong!!!

Cheers,
Nog

quote:Originally posted by dog

...So how bout them Peetzez Nog. I was interested to read on your site that you keep some aboard. How do you like them.

Started using those antique Peetz when I first got down here from the Frozen North. They are interesting, somewhat nostalgic to work. As they're a larger reel, best to employ them on larger fish. A word of caution though if you're considering using them for charter purposes! Most folks that walk onboard won't have had any experience with them, and the majority seem to find out just why they were termed "knucklebusters" in quick order! A couple years back, an Alberta Rancher (REAL Cowboy, damned tough!) managed to hockey stick a # 5 commercial stainless hook on a serious spring just outside of the Gap at Nitinat with one. During the process, he also broke his thumb, right in the joint, in several places. Die-Hard though, fished all of that day and the next, with what appeared to be a flesh cantelope hanging off his right hand! [^]

Personally, I like them. I chiefly use the larger diameter jobs, that huge spool certainly makes taming big springs relatively easy! Gotta get the palming thing down though...

On the downside, they are heavy (clunky), no real brake to speak of (when the tension is applied via the wingnut, the pressure works both ways so I simply turn it free) and can indeed inflict some pretty serious damage in inexperienced hands! Remind me sometime to extoll the virtues of the short-lived model with the expanding crank arm!!! OUCH!

Also play with other antiques, kinda a sickness of mine actually. Here's a couple of pix of a Goite Reel made in 1926:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Tracks/Goite_1st.sized.jpg

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Tracks/Goite_1.sized.jpg

Used it like a centerpin to tag a few steelhead, like a moocher and tagged numerous sockeye and a handfull of coho as well. Then one day got too cocky for my own good, and ran a few springs with her. Third one of the morning split the side rails, and although I did manage to land the bugger (34 pounds) the oldy got permanently retired right then. Liked the fun though, so now have a couple more on the boat for the more adventuresome that come along. Man, you thought screwing up with a Peetz was painfull! These little guys bring a whole new world of hurt into the picture when handled wrong!!!

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks for the Peetz comments Nog. Gotta get me one now, and maybe a matching stainless harpoon with Cetol covered wood trim.

Thanks for the Peetz comments Nog. Gotta get me one now, and maybe a matching stainless harpoon with Cetol covered wood trim.

Back