Hewescraft Searunner 220

big.griff

Wondering peoples opinions on the purchase of a Hewescraft Searunner 220 Hard top with O/B bracket. Anything good or bad. Comparisons to other makes or models. I will be coming from a 21' fibreglass cuddy I/O. Looking at a big purchase here and dont want to screw it up.

I like them and they have great customer support. They are built only a couple hours from osoyoos in colville. What is your 21 foot glass boat?

Curious how they are off shore in rough conditions with the lower sides compared to a custom built aluminum.

That boat has 33 inch sides should be good to go!! In Washington and alaska people take they way offshore. As with any boat you pic your days. I owned a 18 searunner ET and it was great I went 16 mile offshore that was far enough for me. I have a lot of friends with them and they like them. A lot of boat for the money.

anyone else have anything to say? Any reason I shouldnt buy this boat. It will be solely used in the ocean. Mainly on the east coast of the island but occasionally to the west coast

I have a 2008 20' searunner et and absolutely no complaints. Great boat. Not an issue in the 5 yrs Ive owned her. Know a few others with Hewes' as well and no complaints. Sean

Great boats, I had a 18o Searunner, would had offshore from WH when the weather was good.

Good, solid fishing boat. Can be a little rough ride when there is a good chop on the water, but stable, deep boat for ocean fishing.

One thing to check out is the dissimilar metal issue with SS snaps and no gasket between the snaps and aluminum. They are supposed to have fixed it, but not sure on what year they did it.

Cheers

SS

Just got back from Ukee and a week's worth of fishing. Two crews in two boats - my buddies boat being exactly the boat you're considering - 22' Hewes Searunner ET w/ the full cabin. The strong South Easterlies kept me and my crew in my 17 foot Harbercraft either confined to the inside or marina bound half the time whereas my buddy fished offshore the whole time, slaying springs and hali everyday. My buddy loves his boat and, of course, I was very jealous on the days I couldn't get out (only found coho on the inside, though big buggers up to 8lbs already!! offshore was red hot at times and got springs up to 28lbs).

Ukee

UkeeDreamin, how strong were the winds that your buddy was fishing in with the searunner?
Just got back from Ukee and a week's worth of fishing. Two crews in two boats - my buddies boat being exactly the boat you're considering - 22' Hewes Searunner ET w/ the full cabin. The strong South Easterlies kept me and my crew in my 17 foot Harbercraft either confined to the inside or marina bound half the time whereas my buddy fished offshore the whole time, slaying springs and hali everyday. My buddy loves his boat and, of course, I was very jealous on the days I couldn't get out (only found coho on the inside, though big buggers up to 8lbs already!! offshore was red hot at times and got springs up to 28lbs).

Ukee

Worst day wasn't the strongest wind but was a result of the wind direction, SE @ 10-15 knots w/ gusts to 20 knots, mixing with the prevailing NW swell to make it extremely sloppy offshore. I poked my nose out and there was no way. In fact we couldn't fish Great Bear and Alley inside, where we'd found big schools of coho as too exposed to the SE. We hid at Chrow and Food Islets but zilch there. My buddy had no problem fighting the slop offshore in his 22ft Hewes Searunner but said he trolled with the wind and picked up at the end of each tack and ran back up wind. Made it less bouncy and was successful as he and his two boys came to the dock with their 3 small halis, their limits of chinook to 22lbs and a hatch coho that day. My crew got nothing but a few rockfish and greenling we jigged up off some protected rock piles inside.

Ukee

Hewes are a good boat... but remember there is no such thing as the "perfect" boat. Being tin, you will find the ride rougher than a heavy glass... but just take a look at the FISHING ROOM that style of tin boat has! I have never regretted buying my 20ft Alumaweld Intruder. Sure, I would have liked to have a larger engine (mine is a 115 Merc 4 stroke) but that's where budgets kick in and you dont necessarily get every thing you want in life!!! LOL. I just got back from a Port hardy trip.. put lots of miles on the boat, but the most we spent for one LONG day on the waters was $100 for gas. Three fishermen, 200 liters of fuel, large ice chest (60lbs?) an overkill of hali and salmon gear, a full load of springs for the three of us, 50 lbs of hali and still no problem getting up on step. Interestingly we ran into the same 20ft Sea Runner, pod Hewes from Wa, twice in the middle of nowhere. The only thing that I was envious about was the real purdy paint job that I refused when I bought my boat.

If the price is right-- do it.

I understand that theres not a perfect boat unless you have an endless budget. I am really looking forward to a simple boat, not many bells and whistles. Im planning on going with a Yamaha 150 which should be adequate. Im not looking to spend a fortune but am hoping that I will be happy with this boat for many years to come.
Hewes are a good boat... but remember there is no such thing as the "perfect" boat. Being tin, you will find the ride rougher than a heavy glass... but just take a look at the FISHING ROOM that style of tin boat has! I have never regretted buying my 20ft Alumaweld Intruder. Sure, I would have liked to have a larger engine (mine is a 115 Merc 4 stroke) but that's where budgets kick in and you dont necessarily get every thing you want in life!!! LOL. I just got back from a Port hardy trip.. put lots of miles on the boat, but the most we spent for one LONG day on the waters was $100 for gas. Three fishermen, 200 liters of fuel, large ice chest (60lbs?) an overkill of hali and salmon gear, a full load of springs for the three of us, 50 lbs of hali and still no problem getting up on step. Interestingly we ran into the same 20ft Sea Runner, pod Hewes from Wa, twice in the middle of nowhere. The only thing that I was envious about was the real purdy paint job that I refused when I bought my boat.

If the price is right-- do it.

That is a beaut of a boat and you should be VERY happy with it! I see one down at Kitty every once in a while and would love to have one. I think I'd look seriously at the new Yam F200 4cyl if I was rigging a new boat though. They're rated for 225hp so, for an extra couple thou, the 200 would be just about perfect.

thought about the 200. Performance bulletins with this boat and a 150 have good results. The biggest thing that put me off from the 200 is that it requires midgrade due to higher compression which isnt always available at a reasonable price.

QUOTE=Clipper;298869]That is a beaut of a boat and you should be VERY happy with it! I see one down at Kitty every once in a while and would love to have one. I think I'd look seriously at the new Yam F200 4cyl if I was rigging a new boat though. They're rated for 225hp so, for an extra couple thou, the 200 would be just about perfect.[/QUOTE]

Back