Herring strip

E

Even-tide

Can anyone explain how to rig herring strip. I hear about it all the time but have never used it. But I think when I find small bait fish around smaller then the 5-6" chovies I normally use cutting strip sound like a good method.
Questions:
-is it easy to fish, does it keep a roll ?
-can you cut your own from whole herring and if so what shape.
-what kind of head do you put them in and what size to use for different size strip.
- are there any essential tips to keep in mind.

quote:Originally posted by Even-tide

Can anyone explain how to rig herring strip. I hear about it all the time but have never used it. But I think when I find small bait fish around smaller then the 5-6" chovies I normally use cutting strip sound like a good method.
Questions:
-is it easy to fish, does it keep a roll ?
-can you cut your own from whole herring and if so what shape.
-what kind of head do you put them in and what size to use for different size strip.
- are there any essential tips to keep in mind.

Fish it just the way Rhys-Davis recommends---no point in cutting the strip yourself. I think you get 6 a pack which is awesome for a days's fishing--and it's cheap too...$3 ? . Buy the Rhys-Davis Strip, put it in the Super Herring Strip Teaser or Large Strip Teaser. 6 foot leader with 25 lb test. Tie it with a 5/0 Single J hook or a BIG # 1 Treble pulled down so that it hangs down to the end of the strip--do NOT imbed the hook. Make SURE that the toothpick holds firm--very important. Also make sure you DO NOT snell the hook on--very important---you should use an improved clinch not and go through the eye twice---you want the hook to stay directly near the end of the roll close to the tail of the bait. I've seen some people use a 3/0 single followed by a big size 1 treble as well. Check your leader after each large fish---usually they get hooked right in the middle of the mouth or in the snout.

You're not trolling dead slow with this strip---you're going to be going quite quickly so 2.3 to 2.4 MPH should be giving you a good roll---and it looks deadly! Do NOT go slow with this or it won't work the way it's supposed to. This way you also avoid the doggies. I always use it behind a flasher. You'll notice that you get quite a good roll with the bend in the teaser head just the way it comes.

Rhys Davis puts instructions on the herring strip package.

Rigging Strip takes less time than an anchovy--is quite carefree---and generates the BIG results.

I always found the best teaser head to be the chartreuse or glow---and they work VERY well for large springs as you are moving fast and covering area---and it's a larger presentation than anchovies. One of the old tricks was to get a clear or glow head and paint a HOT PINK stripe down each side (hot pink nailpolish) or on the one small edge of the head.

With the advent of Anchovies and the use of the Anchovy Special heads---if a shaker gets on, your bait is TOAST. The Herring Strip works great and smaller fish won't destroy the strip---and you just put it right down after adjusting the hook down to the end of the bait.

The other thing that is great about Strip is...NO BRINING---if you want you can after you've opened and thawed it. But you're hopefully going to catch a load of springs in a hurry.

Overall, I'd say it offers good value for the money and it's a shame that more anglers don't use it still. It used to be VERY popular to soup up a favorite bucktail, spoon or hootchy in days gone by with a piece of herring strip---and it used to work awesome---particularly with the bucktails.

Speaking of herring strip---for old times sake I'm going to run some in late spring---just cuz it's so easy and gets results.

In the time it takes to rig a 'chovy, you can rig 2 or 3 Herring strips!!!!

That's what I remember.

Tight lines.

quote:Originally posted by SalmonAddict

Here are a couple of links for straight plug setups without the teasers... just hooks and bait.. if you cut the angle right, then it rolls just fine

http://www.ole.ca/fishing-bait.shtml for springs (slower roll)or
http://www.steelheaduniversity.com/tailweightherring.html for coho (spinning bullet effect for faster trolling.

Both are great rigs for cut plugging, but they blow out unless they're brined to the max---and a fast troll such as endured with the teasers---will last for a long time.

FM< i8 give up on these. I have tried to find the precut strips everywhere here in the Seattle area. Friends come up with thema nd kick but. I go to the stores where they sold thema nd are always out. I just want to see them. I know that they do produce big fish and someday I will find them. I have the heads but never got a whiff of the strips. Someday..... thanks for the info. I know the San Juan boys use them and knock the crap out of the fish.

quote:Originally posted by Fishinnut

FM< i8 give up on these. I have tried to find the precut strips everywhere here in the Seattle area. Friends come up with thema nd kick but. I go to the stores where they sold thema nd are always out. I just want to see them. I know that they do produce big fish and someday I will find them. I have the heads but never got a whiff of the strips. Someday..... thanks for the info. I know the San Juan boys use them and knock the crap out of the fish.

Yeah...the action is a nice spiral roll which is tantalizing. Some of the ol' commercial boys used to mess with strip---and I've got some of those. They're called Tyee Strip.

If they're not readily available---you'll probably have to stick with the small-medium red and green label herring.

Rhys Davis makes 'em--Super Herring in the Blue Boxes and Large Herring in the Red Boxes. You can buy 'em by the case from Berry's Bait and Tackle in Richmond if you're passing through and in a cooler you should have no problem getting back south.

Really, it's a forgotten method of fishing bait!

None of this snelling hooks business, yadda yadda yadda...

A few years ago this guy came out with the "bait buster" and they're basically a synthetic rip off of the strip---and avoid 'em like the plague cuz the real McCoy will outfish it.

And then there is the "Baittrix"...LMAO...someone is ALWAYS trying to build a better mousetrap. Hilarious.

a 10 or 12 pack of Anchovies/small herring is fine, however it's overkill unless you're fishing all your lines with them on a day trip.

Although, for myself having to contend with Georgia Strait fishing and fishing around Vancouver, Herring Strip would help many anglers (including me) keep a few bucks in their pockets which at the end of the season could add up to some $$.

Still have a half case of mediums and larges to use left over from last season--that tells me I didn't fish enough!!! ...I guarantee I'll fix that in 2007 a couple of times over.

Here's hoping to a better year.........

yea so here it is.(super strip) thats the name of the herring stip in stores. you use a herring strip head just like an anchovie.but bigger. and you rig it pretty much the same. don't put the hook into the bait or else it won't roll. it will show you on the package. i usually use a #4 single stainless steel hook. pull tight and position the hook like it shows on package. and yea you could cut your own strip out of a whole herring. it's tricky tho. best bet is to freeze the herring slightly stiff. then cut. you can move the hook around in the holder for better rolls. according to your boat speed.

quote:Also make sure you DO NOT snell the hook on--very important---you should use an improved clinch not and go through the eye twice
thanks FM that's a great reply now I'm excited to get one in the water.
this part about the snell being a bad knot for strip I don't understand, what is it that makes the snell knot not suitable for this set up ?

quote:Also make sure you DO NOT snell the hook on--very important---you should use an improved clinch not and go through the eye twice
thanks FM that's a great reply now I'm excited to get one in the water.
this part about the snell being a bad knot for strip I don't understand, what is it that makes the snell knot not suitable for this set up ?

The snell of the hook adds extra weight and drag to the hook and the hook will want to fall into the center of the roll away from the bait when it's rolling. I read that years ago in an article written by one of the guys who designed those herring strip rigs.

Excited to try this.
to tie Do you mean like a Trilene knot.

http://www.fintalk.com/fishing-knots/trilene-knot.html

You could use that one.

I'd just use the Improved Clinch Knot---and I go through the eye twice before going around a few times, and then coming back through both loops.

http://www.fintalk.com/fishing-knots/improved-clinch-knot.html

I always use a bead chain on the flasher end.

I always have a few of the Strip Teasers in the box for when bait is in short supply. The last time I used Herring Strip for mature springs was 3 years ago off the Cap when I left the Anchovies and Medium Herring at home. It was September, launched the boat and got down to the gas barge and realized..."Oh fug, I don't believe I just did this.." The barge of course was out of Anchovies, no medium or large herring, but they did have strip----I grabbed the last 2 packs. Promptly did a little tying, and headed out and dropped it down to the basement---and within a half hour---bam! 25 lber in the box. Put it back down and "bam!" another 16 lber.

Last April I used Strip on half the rods while fishing off the slash and they got all the legal fish!!!!

One of the keys is to make sure you're moving pretty good and getting a good roll out of it---and the roll is closer to a big roll cutplug with a pause as opposed to the tight looping Anchovies.

Are these freeze dried or frozen? Can you order them through the mail or are they not cured? I would really like to find these, because the guys that use them swear by them. I am a pretty good bait fisherman along with everthing else and I know some of the guys that use them at Westport that catch some pretty big fish on them. Where could I order them or is this just out of the question.

quote:Originally posted by Fishinnut

Are these freeze dried or frozen? Can you order them through the mail or are they not cured? I would really like to find these, because the guys that use them swear by them. I am a pretty good bait fisherman along with everthing else and I know some of the guys that use them at Westport that catch some pretty big fish on them. Where could I order them or is this just out of the question.

They're frozen in water in small plastic trays about the size of a jumbo ice cream bar.

No idea about how you would get 'em.....maybe a call to Rhys Davis to find a distributor close to you?????

If that's not an option---courier makes this expensive..then I'd just stick with medium herring stuck in an Anchovy head or Minnow teaser.......

What else to do?

Back