Harbour Safety. Float plane collision coal harbour

FFS the boat is on a cross course with plenty of steerage way. Could have turned away easily.

Someone from transport Canada was on the news yesterday clearly stating that in this case the less maneuverable vessel (seaplane)had right of way, I know when I travel in close to that area my head is on a swivel and any souls on board are put on alert,I would have given way but common sense is so un common it should be a super power,look how many idiots cut the bow of freighters,ferries and tugs.

even tho the pilot had the right of way he seems to be getting blasted in the comments by "other pilots"

"Juan, I fly a beaver commercially in one of the busiest boat traffic vs float plane traffic areas in Canada. the visibility is not that bad. The visibility when taxiing vs on the step is pretty much the same. This pilot was on the step a long time and could have step taxied around the boat, rejected the takeoff, or done literally anything else other than run the boat over. Even if you think you’re in a boat free area you need to be looking for things to hit. And then not hit them. Whether the pilot was right wrong or indifferent I think this should not have happened."

"Always treat boaters as if they’re trying to kill you. When I was getting my float rating in Canada, the discussion was really “legal” vs practical. It doesn’t matter who legally has the right to be there except for who gets the blame afterwards. Boaters, especially pleasure craft, are notorious for being unpredictable and not following the rules. They’ll turn in front of you when you least expect it. I’ve had plenty of seadoos try to race me on the water."

"In the past I operated sea planes in and out of Coal Harbour for 14 years, some of them for this operator. I have not worked there for some years now so haven't any insight on the pilot flying, or his experience. Right of way rules on the water are part of the training at Harbour Air. The pilot would have been familiar with those rules and regulations. I'm having a hard time fathoming why he did not see the the boat. Boats, wake and floating logs are always taken into consideration before starting your slide. I don't think he saw the boat at all, or until he didn't have time to react. Looking at the two videos, I don't believe he was trying to force it off the water, I believe he was hitting the wake of the east bound boat. The two most common areas boats transit east and west are exactly where these two boats where transiting and on the south side, right in front of the seaplane docks. All of this the pilot would be well aware. Also I believe it happened near noon so pilot fatigue should not have been a factor."

even tho the pilot had the right of way he seems to be getting blasted in the comments by "other pilots"

"Juan, I fly a beaver commercially in one of the busiest boat traffic vs float plane traffic areas in Canada. the visibility is not that bad. The visibility when taxiing vs on the step is pretty much the same. This pilot was on the step a long time and could have step taxied around the boat, rejected the takeoff, or done literally anything else other than run the boat over. Even if you think you’re in a boat free area you need to be looking for things to hit. And then not hit them. Whether the pilot was right wrong or indifferent I think this should not have happened."

"Always treat boaters as if they’re trying to kill you. When I was getting my float rating in Canada, the discussion was really “legal” vs practical. It doesn’t matter who legally has the right to be there except for who gets the blame afterwards. Boaters, especially pleasure craft, are notorious for being unpredictable and not following the rules. They’ll turn in front of you when you least expect it. I’ve had plenty of seadoos try to race me on the water."

"In the past I operated sea planes in and out of Coal Harbour for 14 years, some of them for this operator. I have not worked there for some years now so haven't any insight on the pilot flying, or his experience. Right of way rules on the water are part of the training at Harbour Air. The pilot would have been familiar with those rules and regulations. I'm having a hard time fathoming why he did not see the the boat. Boats, wake and floating logs are always taken into consideration before starting your slide. I don't think he saw the boat at all, or until he didn't have time to react. Looking at the two videos, I don't believe he was trying to force it off the water, I believe he was hitting the wake of the east bound boat. The two most common areas boats transit east and west are exactly where these two boats where transiting and on the south side, right in front of the seaplane docks. All of this the pilot would be well aware. Also I believe it happened near noon so pilot fatigue should not have been a factor."
Good insight

It does seem as though he ignored the tower but I assume he felt he had time or the boat would give way,regardless a horrible accident,has there been any word on the condition of the boaters,I saw a pic of the boat it looked to have taken the blow pretty well but humans are alot softer

Back