Handling wild fish

• Thread starter Thread starter tortuga
  • Start date Start date
T

tortuga

Quote from another thread

"out today and we landed a summer run that had a clear hand print on its tail where someone had grabbed it. Who knows it was from a glove or bare hand but he definitely had some fungus growing where someone had tailed him."

This caught my eye because I've been wondering why there are so many pics posted on various site that show guys posing for the glory shot with a limp looking wild steelhead, lots that aren't even pic worthy.

IMHO these fish, if you have to take a pic, should not be netted, and should be tailed from shore under water to get the hook out, and lifted up for a second or two when the cameras ready

Even better, if you can't resist releasing a wild one without a pic, get an underwater camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you have some ducks to kill

I am actually working right now. How bs is that?

Anyway, Yes if handling a wild fish, and especially a steelhead (which i assume you are referring to.) should be handled as your desribe. Way to many coloured up fish taken way to far out of the water for pics.

Lorne

Judging by your sig pic I would think that you are not kidding..

It is clearly a steelhead released by a glove...

I wear those "fish gloves".

Just kidding.

Good to hear you are just kidding about those gloves. Having fished for steelhead broodstock for 11 years one of the things we learned was gloves removed the protective layer of slime and exposed our fish to fungus growth. It wasn't long before the hatchery technicians gave up on the idea of using gloves and we learned to handle fish with wet hands we soaked in the river. Other thing learned was the less we could handle them fish the better.

Makes me cringe when you see some guys on TV using gloves to handle fish.:(

Judging by your sig pic I would think that you are not kidding..

It is clearly a steelhead released by a glove...

That does kinda look like an old summer run

Clearly its a steelhead that's spent a little too much time cruising the waters around Japan..

Or a loney freshwater quillback??

There's always a bigger fish.

It is not so eyse to handl a wiled fish.

Exactly !

Good to hear you are just kidding about those gloves. Having fished for steelhead broodstock for 11 years one of the things we learned was gloves removed the protective layer of slime and exposed our fish to fungus growth. It wasn't long before the hatchery technicians gave up on the idea of using gloves and we learned to handle fish with wet hands we soaked in the river. Other thing learned was the less we could handle them fish the better.

Guys on TV that use gloves shouldn't be out there or on TV.
Put me on TV, I won't use gloves ! :cool:

Can you show any science or studies that show using gloves is worse then not? I am not a glove user, but i cant find anything anywhere that suggests it is anyworse then using your hand. I know guys like yourself may have some practical experience, but can it really be linked to gloves by science?

Last edited by a moderator:
If this bothers you, you should have seen the episode of nicefishjr on the weekend. Coho fishing off sooke. What a joke. Netting coho and letting them flop on the boat floor just to end up throwing it back. Im all for kids learning to fish but Cmon how silly does that make them look. Made me want to chuck!

-KK

He didn't let it flop on the floor the kid dropped the fish. Good on these kids for doing it themselves as my kids dropped a few fish themselves. How many coho did you foul hook in the eye or gill plate and had to let go because it was wild ?? Maybe they should be using a glove then maybe he wouldn't have dropped it..

If this bothers you, you should have seen the episode of nicefishjr on the weekend. Coho fishing off sooke. What a joke. Netting coho and letting them flop on the boat floor just to end up throwing it back. Im all for kids learning to fish but Cmon how silly does that make them look. Made me want to chuck!

-KK

I saw that episode as well it was hard to watch. At the very least they could have used a soft mesh net for catch and release

I saw it as well. To drop a stocked trout or an introduced sunfish is one thing. You would think that his dad (Gary Cooper), who I presume was holding the camera, would know better. I will teach my kids to handle fish better, and yes a catch and release net would help. After having more then enough fish in the boat why would a person even bring a wild fish on board? Keep it in the water for the release.

Back