halibut structure

• Thread starter Thread starter siwash
  • Start date Start date
S

siwash

what is considered good bottom structure for halibut?

siwash

look at the charts and fish the topmost contours of the banks. they are the most productive usually.

Hi All. I'm new to the board. A couple of friends and I will be heading up to the Strait for some halibut fishing in mid May (18th-22nd). We'll be staying in Port Angeles, and plan to fish Canadian waters for 4-5 days, weather permtting.

Besides being new to the board, I'm new to halibut fishing. As in, never caught one. My wife caught one about 30 years ago in southern California, but I don't count that. Flatfish are hard to come by here in Utah. We've been fishing for salmon off the coast of Washington for the past six years, but this year I bought a new boat and can't wait till August to put it in salt water.

I have been reading a bit and have a basic understanding of halibut fishing, but would appreciate any advice members would offer re: terminal tackle, jigs, locations, etc. Thanks.

I have tried Constance Bank and just off Beechy Head and also off the Sooke Bluffs. Two of these places we tried were gps co-ordinates that Island Outfitters gave us. I thougth for sure we would get something then :). No luck. We used the typical spreader bar + Octopus rig and Powergrub rig on the other. I was told it's more important to be at the right place.

I am going out Sunday but not really sure what I'm doing. I'm trying to go when there are nice tides.

Anyone else have any adviced?

Just keep an eye out for charter boats and fish near them. Or remember where they were and go there next time. Saves a lot of the guess work.

quote:
look at the charts and fish the topmost contours of the banks. they are the most productive usually.
And don't be scared to move and try another if things are slow.

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!

Mr. Dean

Back