Halibut rods

Toolguy

Hi all,

I'm going to buy a new Halibut set up. I'm considering the Penn Fathom 40 2 speed reel. It seems like a well built 2 speed at a good price. With this I'm looking at either:

Shimano Technium 8' Sturgeon rod or

Penn Carnage II 6'6" rod

I like the idea of a little more length to keep gear apart with the Shimano but love the grip of the Penn. It has a machined aluminum reel seat too.

Would love to have some opinions on which way to go as I've used neither rod on the water.

Thanks for any comments or advice on the rod or reel.

Based on advice from several of the fellas here on the forum, I bought the Shimano Trevala TVC66MH (6'6" Medium Heavy). SUPER happy with the purchase.

X 2 on the Trevala, very light weight, super strong, sensitive tip for leaving in the rod holder when anchored - the best hali rod I've ever used.

I'm the opposit, take the trevella and the carnage side by side. Run line thru the eyes from reel seat and pick up a weight in size you plan on using. Feel the rod blank and see the bend. I gave away my Trevelas as I do not like the rod bending in the reel seat area when lifting hali, ling,or cod, carnage has bend where its supposed to be, strong back bone for lifting and sensitive tip to see bites, its all I use and they are amazing. Don't take my word for it, run the test.

HM

My Trevala shattered when i hooked a big fish, right at the base above the grip, for the cost I'll never buy one again. May have to try the carnage.

I'm the opposit, take the trevella and the carnage side by side. Run line thru the eyes from reel seat and pick up a weight in size you plan on using. Feel the rod blank and see the bend. I gave away my Trevelas as I do not like the rod bending in the reel seat area when lifting hali, ling,or cod, carnage has bend where its supposed to be, strong back bone for lifting and sensitive tip to see bites, its all I use and they are amazing. Don't take my word for it, run the test.

HM
Which rod do you have?

I'm an addict I have 4 carnage II's. The 6.2 ft CAR JG II 50130C62, CARJGII80200C58, CARJGII 3080S66, CARBWII1530S70, all are outstandiung and I like them all. Do have a favourite, I use the 5'8" for jigging, my son prefers 6"2", all jigging models loaded with squalls and tuff line plus (thinest cheapest braid). Spinning model has penn spinfisher and same tuff line plus, cast a spinnow or storm grub a mile and so much fun to catch rock cod, ling and small stuff 30 ft deep while drifting. I am away now and getting baracuda, trevally and sails on same outfit.

HM

I'm an addict I have 4 carnage II's. The 6.2 ft CAR JG II 50130C62, CARJGII80200C58, CARJGII 3080S66, CARBWII1530S70, all are outstandiung and I like them all. Do have a favourite, I use the 5'8" for jigging, my son prefers 6"2", all jigging models loaded with squalls and tuff line plus (thinest cheapest braid). Spinning model has penn spinfisher and same tuff line plus, cast a spinnow or storm grub a mile and so much fun to catch rock cod, ling and small stuff 30 ft deep while drifting. I am away now and getting baracuda, trevally and sails on same outfit.

HM
I really appreciate the feedback! Cheers

x4 that trevala. As for reel, I like my knuckle buster best for 250' or less - leave the rod in the holder, reel-down tip the rod bends, wait for it to straighten then repeat. If you "gorilla" it things will break. Broke a S/S leader once on a fish that made the 65# I caught next seem like a trout.

Thanks everyone for your responses! Good to get some hands on feedback from you halimark!

Last edited:
Back