Halibut Reports 2009 South Island

Did that old guy realy get that fish i just don't think so lol,the old boy always comes thru in derbies thats for sure.

LOL....[^] the old guy [:o)]is known for being a 'derbyaholic':DI wonder if he's seen himself on the internet. Good luck to everyone that gets out this weekend.

Got out with FAH-CUPS today. Unreal, we had two fish in the boat by 7:30. Nothin Huge but I'll take a 25 and a 40 before 8 A.M. any time. Headed into Pedder, loaded up on Anvchovie and tried our luck at Secretary for a few hours. Saw one teenager landed. Headed back to the dock, tied up and cleaned the fish. Back to my place for a few cold ones and watched the old lady cut the grass. It doesn't get any better than this! Great day, thanks FAH-CUPS! Island Idiot

The Rock and I had almost the exact same morning.....2 butts by 7:30am, one about 30lb and the second about 50lb. We were bonking the 30lb'r when the 50lb started honking line off the bow line. Had a chicken hit the corner rod as we landed the 50lb and released it. Lot's of fun. Went to Trap SHack to hunt for springs but didn't even get a sniff. The lawn can wait until tomorrow though ~ wife was at the salon today. ;)

Yammy5 and I had our dads out today for a quick limit by 9am. Lots of fun!

IMG_6063Large.jpg

IMG_6070Large.jpg

IMG_6079Large.jpg

IMG_6156Large.jpg

IMG_6004Large.jpg

Hey Rock, You must be looking for a big Hali with that much octopus on the hook! I usually use just a piece! :P Great fish guys!

-Steve

GREAT PICS!!!

Fishflyguy89
Hey Rock, You must be looking for a big Hali with that much octopus on the hook! I usually use just a piece! :P Great fish guys!

Now thats funny:D:D

I thought I was stuck on the bottom, just before the line was about to break some thing gave free and had to bring up this very heavy dead weight thought I caught some old anchor line off the bottom. Ahh no,Big Octo. We cut a small piece from an end of one arm to use for bait, the rest of him we just removed the hooks and we let him go.. though I know some people would of loved to have kept it, its a nice delicacy. The small piece that we brought in the boat sucked onto every thing I couldn't imagine bring that whole thing into the boat..

100_0239.jpg

Good day Today, Caught this one and one smaller chicken at east Race. Both caught on the same piece of octopus!!

Thought it was going to be the day out there today ( monday ) but that wind carried over from last night and it sure was sloppy.
We managed into a good flurry of activity at around change this morning. Lost a hog and managed a 25lb. We worked for our fish and I think this trip will have served me for a while before I need to head out again. Damn, that was a lot of work.

I'm tired.

Going to bed.

hey solar,
where did you get the bench seats in the background??

quote:Originally posted by solarwind

100_0239.jpg

Good day Today, Caught this one and one smaller chicken at east Race. Both caught on the same piece of octopus!!

hey solar,
where did you get the bench seats in the background??

quote:Originally posted by solarwind

100_0239.jpg

We had a good day across the pond on Friday. We got a 43,45, and a 53 pounder. We run out from Everett to the straits and its about 40+ miles one way. It was a nice calm day.

w640.jpg

We had a good day across the pond on Friday. We got a 43,45, and a 53 pounder. We run out from Everett to the straits and its about 40+ miles one way. It was a nice calm day.

w640.jpg

it was an awesome morning this morning:D the wind has finaly died off,sunny and flat calm. lost the first hali and got a chicken about 25lbs,all in all was a great day:) Anybody else out today??

Hey Fishinnut...

After a run like that to get to the fish, glad you scored big!

Count your blessings guys.. From Waahington...

quote:FISHING RULE CHANGE
WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091

May 21, 2009

Sport halibut season to close at the end of the day May 29 in Marine Area 1

Action: Close recreational fishing for halibut in Marine Area 1 on Friday May 29, 2009. It is expected that the remaining quota in Marine Area 1 will be taken by the end of the day May 29. It is unlawful to retain bottomfish, except sablefish and Pacific cod, when halibut is on board May 1 through September 30, 2009.

Effective date: Close 11:59 p.m., Friday May 29, 2009.

Species affected: Pacific Halibut.

Reason for action: It is expected that the remaining halibut quota for Marine Area 1 will be taken by the end of the day May 29, 2009. This rule conforms to federal action taken by Pacific Fisheries Management Council. Anglers are encouraged to check the WDFW website or hotline for information regarding re-openings.

Information contact: Heather Reed, (360) 249-4628 ext. 202

Fishers must have a current Washington fishing license, appropriate to the fishery. Check the WDFW "Fishing in Washington" rules pamphlet for details on fishing seasons and regulations. Fishing rules are subject to change. Check the WDFW Fishing hotline for the latest rule information at (360) 902-2500, press 2 for recreational rules. For the Shellfish Rule Change hotline call (360)796-3215 or toll free 1-866-880-5431.
Return to WDFW Home Page

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Back