Halibut Fishing reel

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hey guy's

I am looking for a used halibut reel for my father, as I am tried of watching him use his 25 year old penn which is rusted to hell and not made for jiging.(I also spend half our fishing time fixing tangles caused by this reel) Not looking to spend huge bling but if you have a good condition entry level reel your looking to get rid of shot me a PM

Capt

Hey Marty,

Not sure how much you are looking to spend but the Penn 300 series are workhorse reels used widely up and down the coast and are reasonably priced new; depending on model $110-$140ish if I recall correctly. You could likely shop around and beat that price too at this time of the year.

Thats kind of what I was looking for my brother has a Penn 330 which seems to work very well, I figured I would see if somebody had one for sale before I buy new. My fathers a bit of cheepy when it comes to fishing gear, he still trys to sneak his first fishing rod he bought at canadian tire 40 years ago onto the boat.

I haven't yet, but I'm thinking of trying one out next year...
I like the lever drag system better.
wonder if anyone else has experience ?

Haven't heard great things about penn... But have no first hand experience with that model. I do not like the cheap penns you get on most starter Hali set ups which I have used.

I really like my shimano TLD 15 its a lever drag, nice and light, pleasure to use. Also have a TLD20 it holds more line and is beefed up but I find it too big and clunky I hope the fish hits my TLD15 every time.

Might struggle with a huge fish but for the 60lb and less we are allowed its more then enough and like I said its a pleasure to use. Highly recommended unless your hog hunting with commercial quota.

Outdoor Emporium had the Penn 320GTI's on sale earlier this year for around $79. The also had 6' 6" heavy ugly stick hali rods on sale for around $40. By the time I dropped $35 of 65# braid on the reel, I was into the setup for around $155 overall. I used these for tuna and for hali. The reels are easy to take apart and repair and parts are readily available.

I'm running Penn GLD 20'S and they have been excellent, very happy with them. Paid $169.00 and $180.00 each 2 years ago.

Back