Hali advice

Gerry

Hi all. I have tried the search function but cannot find out the information that I am looking for. I am going to try for halibut this weekend for the first time, weather permitting. When using a spreader bar, how much of a leader do you use for the herring, and do you attach your weight directly to the bottom of the bar or use a leader as well. Thanks for the help.

I use anywhere from a 12-36" leader for my herring. Longer leaders when anchored, shorther for when drifting, or agressive jigging. I tie my weights to my spreader bar with anywhere from around 14"-20" of the el CHEAPO blue Wal Mart 20 pound test, that way, if the lead gets hung up, you get your spreader bar back. I don't follow any particular rule on weight leader length. Remember to bump the bottom frequently, this way you are sure to stay close as your distance to the bottom can change quite quickly either drifting, or swinging on the anchor.

EDIT: I don't put any swivel on the weight, I just tie a loop in the weight leader to use as a quick connect to the spreader bar.

I don't put as much time in halibut fishing as most on this board. My mainline is 80 lb Tuf-line. My 2 lb round weight is attached to a snap swivel using 30 lb mono about 6-10 inches in length. The snap swivel attaches to the spreader bar. My leader length varies, on average around 3-4 feet for bait and is 50 lb mono.

Use MONO line(use less test line than your mainline) to attach your weight..that way if it hangs up it will break before your mainline.
I like to use mono for a leader as well.Leader length about 1.5-2 feet..You can also use wire leaders made from downrigger line.
I hope this helps.

Back