Grady 232 Outboard bracket help

BigHog

I have a new to me 232 Grady with twin 150's and a full width swim platform resting on top of the outboard pod. I am trying to find a bracket so I can install a 9.9 High Thrust. Anyone have this configuration that could recommend the bracket?

I have looked at the Adventure Marine bracket and it might work but want to see if anyone has installed it on this boat. I am concerned that the bracket might have to be mounted too high because of the swim platform.

thanks

I had a custom built bracket built from my hull out for my high thrust....I can send you pict if you want..... works well for me

BH- You and I are trying to do the exact same thing (my 228G). I've looked at the swim grid mount by Adventure Marine and their transom mount version. I suspect you're talking the transom mount version and not the swim grid version. Based on my calculations, you can't mount the transom version above the swim grid. You would be too high. It would have to go under the swim grid, and, that won’t work because its not long enough. I think you're going to have two options.
1.0 AM has a swim grid mount version which may work, height will be fine (kicker needs to be 2-3 inches above your main). The problem with transom mount to me is the risk of vibration. I have contacted Grady and they say the swim grid was not “engineered” for a kicker, but, that they don’t see it being a problem as long as an underside plate is mounted to the swim grid to support the bracket on top.
2.0 The second option is the one I have now concluded may be the best on a full transom swim grid’d Grady. Remove the swim grid ( I know I don’t want to but it’s the best option ) and mount the transom mount bracket at the ideal height in relation to your main. This allows you to get height perfect and you then have flexibility on length of the bracket as well. The bracket can be shorter than the Grady bracket (which is about 29-30”, quite long). Then, recycle your stainless grab rail from your old swim grid and then remount on the other side of the transom with a partial swim platform. I’ve got a supplier for this as well.
3.0 Option 2.0 will allow you to get the height right, and, ensure the turning radius is correct on the kicker. I've been in touch with Prodigy Marine in Sooke who may have a superior solution. There are a couple of companies in Bellingham as well (Pooder). PM me if you want to talk. I’ve agonized over this for the last 3 months and am about to pull the trigger.

I have an Adventure swim grid kicker mount on my Pursuit which you can look at if you are handy to Vancouver

FG/Kistro- are you both running swim grid mounted kickers using the AM style mount? If so, do you notice any vibration when trolling? I run an 8HP Yam HT. What are you running? Any photos guys? BH, sorry for hijack....

I had this style made , custom from a fabricator , this one was a bit too wide , i also run twin 150's ,
Excellent brackets , good quality , powder coated protection.. Gd LK

https://www.adventuremarine.net/product-catalogue/index.cfm?ProductID=31&do=detail

fd

I have been in touch with a fabricator and he has made a number very similar to the AM product above and they work fine. Need to get some measurements before I decide which way to go. FD, how far is your kicker from your mains? I'm a bit concerned about the turning. I also was just sent a picture of another bracket that would also work and is custom as well. I'm going with the T9.9 but the prices in BC are very high compared to WA or OR. I know all about the warranty issues but they are over $1000 cheaper.

heres a few shots as per ur request , sorry no measurements , my boats across the pond , can take some shotz and measurements for ya next week , if ur not in a rush , hope this helps ,

pm tmrw if ya like , i can pass ya my # , done this twice now , give ya sum detail....

BeersnBoats.jpg

IMG00185-20110601-1822.jpg

18.jpg

fd

be sure to check out Pooderbuilt out of Bellingham http://pooderbuilt.com/aux power brackets.html

Dwayne builds for many of the Bellingham boat builders and his designs/quality are excellent. Many of the competing brackets dont extend long enough on the verticle plane to match the vertical powerlift area of a T8 or T9.9. good luck. DAJ

Thanks for the pics FD. That bracket looks perfect for your application. My swim platform is not integral but it could work.

Just got my ADventure Marine swim step/platform for my 228G delivered today - same as FD's. Pescador, I got exactly the same info from customerserv at Grady. I got the backing plate too as the swim platform will need that backing. I will let you know how it works but also Helde at AM says no problem returning the bracket if it doesn't fit to my satisfaction. I am not sure the plate will fit under the swim platform. With the platform sitting on the pod I doubt I will need any other support from transom to bracket but I suppose I could install a support/turnbuckle from bracket to transom just for overkill support

Peahead, My only concern with the AM bracket is the turning radius as you are going to need to mount it as far port/starboard as you can on the swim grid to get it away from the main. Then you may run into contact with the stainless swim grid grab rail. Pls let me know how it goes. Wouldn't mind seeing the final mount. A photo would be great.

Peahead, My only concern with the AM bracket is the turning radius as you are going to need to mount it as far port/starboard as you can on the swim grid to get it away from the main. Then you may run into contact with the stainless swim grid grab rail. Pls let me know how it goes. Wouldn't mind seeing the final mount. A photo would be great.

Yeah that Grab rail has me twitching .....hoping I can figure my way around it.

It would be great if a member had this setup on a Grady 232 with twins and could PM me some pics and measurements. Looks like I will have to fabricate one.

Here are photos of the stern and swim platform and main outboard bracket. Want to mount on the port side and will move the swim ladder.

Attachments

• G232stern.jpg
    G232stern.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_5826.jpg
    IMG_5826.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 250
Back