GPS

• Thread starter Thread starter BOJANGLE
  • Start date Start date
B

BOJANGLE

I bought a Lowrance H2O Hand held on the weekend and purchased a Navionics card for the Island at the same time,as well as the Freedom land map for Southern BC... The BC map loads up great as soon as I power up, but the VI marine one doesn't want to come up...any ideas ??

Try going into menu look for map data .Go into map data and pick one of the choices.They each represent a different section of vancouver island.For example 2G190x1.nv2 is south island charts. When you use it on the water you will need to change it to soot your location.These are great little units, enjoy.ps don't be zoomed in to far as the chart will not show up if you are a distance from the chuck.

I do have a question for you though?.I was thinking about getting the northern bc chip for elk/moose hunting this fall.Does the chip show topo info,forest road etc?

another question, do you find the screen big enough to view ?
i am using a garmin gps72 hand held, and it's ok
but there's no mapping, so no real detail to view
what do you think ?

scotty

I do but when I'm running the kicker I cannot see the speed I'm doing so I continue to use my old lowrance 350a.The only other problem is the alarm is not loud enough.The map(chip) is amazing in it's detail.I have about 15 charts on my boat I may not need them again.

Hey Bo.
I have the same unit and had some problems getting the chip to load as well. Ended up going back to the store and they replaced the old chip with a new one.It would load up but only sometimes, it was like I never had the card in the unit when it initialized. Now all is good and I would go any other with as far as a handheld unit goes. I love it.

Hey Frango..thanks for the tip .. I have found the map for around Chemainus.. and the one for Port Hardy area.....I guess the other areas are on there, cuz it's supposed be the whole Island.....still playng with it....love the detail tho.. but find I will need to mount it on the dash somewhere...they sure ding ya for the chips too

Hey my pleasure,If your going to mount it look for a ram mount.Check out there web site.Harbour chandler or parker marine sells them for sure.Does the BC chip have topo info?

Frango....you bet it does.....it would be great for hunting.....save ya from climbing too many hills...haha
I am very impressed with the detail....waterways, rivers, altitudes...you can zoom right in ....
Still can't believe there are no instructions to go with those Navionics maps.....atleast a list to tell ya what map goes with what region....trial and error works, but takes time....guess I'll write em down...

does this freedom map have all the marine charts for
south& west vanc island ? "South British Columbia F37T"

want to make sure i get the right map chip for the
i finder H2O

scotty

It seems to have everything.. I've been up to Winter Harbour (on the GPS only) and last nite was looking at the waters off Ucluelet, so I'm prettty sure it covers the whole Island...

Hey Scotty....it's the Navionics chip for Van. Isl. that has the marine charts... the Freedom charts is for land based stuff and shows all of South BC.., but details land only....

Your local marine store that sells charts should have a freebie called "Pacific Coast Catalogue" Nautical Charts and Related Publications It is a map sized fold out showing the entire B.C. Coast and the area covered by each chart.
P.S. Do not take your paper charts from your boat, electronics are known to fail at the most inopertune time. And if I am not mistaken your small boat regulations require you to have paper charts of any area your boat is in.

I paid $169 for the BC Chart and $279 for the Van Isl marine chart at Harbour Chandler

Back