Good deal on a Monaro

She's a beauty...I've been dealing with Bayside Marine for my new motor purchase. Great experience thus far. They have handled all my questions, concerns, and requests professionally and it has been a pleasure dealing with these guys. If you are in the market, I wouldn't hesitate giving them a call.

I wouldn't call that a good deal...the kicker is junk...no trailer...and the hull in boat years is ancient and I'll bet the floors are in need of help. the electronics are nothing spectacular. It'll sell for 15k probably.

Nice boat, love those Monaro hulls. A dealer is selling it so there is always room to work on the price. Most of the cost is that engine with only 60 hrs.

I wouldn't call that a good deal...the kicker is junk...no trailer...and the hull in boat years is ancient and I'll bet the floors are in need of help. the electronics are nothing spectacular. It'll sell for 15k probably.

20 years is hardly ancient especially for a quality build like monaro. Lots of guides with glass hull older than that. Bring it over the border at that price and it would sell quick.

There are lots of Monaros available locally....no takers to those which are more boat...there are even diesels available for under 25 k!

What a boat was new....is one thing....what they are after 20 years is another. I can show you lots of "quality built" Trophies and Gradys locally that have rotten stringers, stress cracks telling untold epic stories of rot, unsecured stringers, etc. How about water logged Whalers? Know of a couple of those too!

If you are buying a 20 year old boat you are buying it for you....and you alone.

What's your definition of sell quick? 1 month? 3 ? 6? 1 year?

Is that all second hand info from "local guides" you are friends with? You're a computer chair fisherman, I'm not even going to waste my time. It's not my boat, I think it's a good deal and shared for others. enough said.

Is that all second hand info from "local guides" you are friends with? You're a computer chair fisherman, I'm not even going to waste my time. It's not my boat, I think it's a good deal and shared for others. enough said.

Me: 1341 posts.
You: 3323 posts.
computer chair fisherman? hardly!

Kelly, talk is cheap.....go buy it if it is such a screaming deal....it would be a nice upgrade for you.....you said so yourself

Your right, talk is cheap! So where are all these fish your buddies are catching?? Lol. Oh right, that's the Magician's Secret. haha

Thanks for the relevant and informative 3000+ posts Kelly.

There are lots of Monaros available locally....no takers to those which are more boat...there are even diesels available for under 25 k!

What a boat was new....is one thing....what they are after 20 years is another. I can show you lots of "quality built" Trophies and Gradys locally that have rotten stringers, stress cracks telling untold epic stories of rot, unsecured stringers, etc. How about water logged Whalers? Know of a couple of those too!

If you are buying a 20 year old boat you are buying it for you....and you alone.

What's your definition of sell quick? 1 month? 3 ? 6? 1 year?

Not every used fiberglass boat has rotten stringers by default. In fact, I've seen many 30+ year old hulls with no rot. If that boat was rotted out, sure it wouldn't be a deal. But who's to say it is? That's what a competent marine surveyor is for.

That same boat, same kicker with a 30 year old inboard with 1500 hours just sold for 17k in Richmond. That Suzuki outboard must be worth 15k on it's own.

Had a chance to take a quick look at this boat on my way down the I-5, seems to be in pretty good shape for its age, few dockside rash marks, but the keel is clean and no repairs to it. The boat itself is pretty much original, seats are dirty but not torn, canvas is in good shape although dirty. Boat comes with all sorts of misc gear, but nothing of any great significance. Some spot corrosion on the front window frames, but no broken or leaky spots. Floor feels strong, no soft spots, but didn't pull the floor plate out, just the inspection hatch for the fuel tank (no smell of gas, good thing:)). Ice box is pretty rough shape, needs the hinges re-attached for the back bench seat, paint coming off the bracket, bare aluminum showing. Engine looks fine, no broken skeg or chipped prop, didn't see it run though. All in all, not a bad boat if you were looking for one, which my in-laws are:). A little small for their needs though, not enough storage in the floor (didn't see any fish lockers, just a small gear locker that drains to the bilge). Cuddy was fine, had a portable toilet, no heat, but was dry and didn't smell of mildew or rot.

I think that $24k is a little too much for the boat, and being a consignment sale, not sure how much the owners are willing to move. It is an estate sale and there are a couple of different family members looking after it, which would explain the general condition of the boat, just seems like when they finished using it for the day, they would just park it and walked away, leaving it for the next family member to maintain. Not sure if the engine would sell at $15K for a used 7 year old with no warranty left without the hull, but in this case, this is the majority of the value is in this boat. Fiberglass boats are flooding the market right now, but this is a good designed, solid hull that handles the chop well, which will keep the price up a bit. The boat is definitely dirty, needs a good cleaning and going through, new electronics, some electric scotty's (have manual Cannons or Penn's on it now), 4stroke kicker (nothing wrong with the 2stroke Suzuki, but have to keep up with the 'Jones':)), and a boat trailer if you are going to keep it out of the water when not being used, which it looks like is has been for most of its life. IMO, it is not a smoking deal yet, but getting price down a few thousand would definitely help:) Not what my in-laws are looking for, but would make a nice family boat for day trips, or a little overnighter for two people - would probably put a canvas camper top on it if I were to go this route.

Of course this is just my opinion, and always subject to critique:) Hope this helps in anyone who was seriously looking at going down and seeing this boat.

Regards,

Fishyboy

For what it's worth, I own the first 24 ft. Monaro out of of the mould. 1985, and the stringers and flooor are all sound. The pipe bracket on the engine mount is original Monaro. These boats were designed for 2 stroke motors, but now have a pod to increase floatation for the heavier 4 stroke motors we all use. I have a pod on mine. Mine has seen a lot of abuse as it is in the water all year. I still don't hesitate to go 75 miles off Tuna fishing.
Probably BC's best built boat.
Great riding hull for the offshore run, but it is a narrow, deep V hull so will roll side to side.

Back