Gel coating bottom

flytyer

OK, so here is what i need to know. I have always fixed a hole or a chip with a marine putty and then sanded it away with a nice finish. What has always bothered me was that it left a putty mark. I need to know about gel coating after i have finished the putty sanding so that it match'e the rest of the hull. I now have a boat that does not rate all these putty marks, and needs the full monty

any help is great help
[8D][8D]

Well, it depends on what type of putty you have been using to fill and sand the scratches with. If it is an epoxy putty, gelcoat is not meant to bond to epoxy, so paint. If it is polyester then your in business. If your boat is anything but white, you will need to color match your gelcoat (tint). Sand down the putty areas a little deeper and fix each putty mark one at a time. If you can spray the gelcoat fly at it. If you cannot spray, use a brush. Then sand it down, brush then sand it down. then polish. It's not that tuff, but once you do a couple scratches you'll feel more comfortable with it.

If you can put on gel coat like reelendealen says, there is a good how-to video on you-tube. Just do a search for gel coat repair, there are two parts.

Cheers.

I remember being able to buy small jars of gel coat (was pelagic) and use that instead of putty check with industrial plastics, replace with that after scraping out the putty, probably a lot easier than re-gelcoating the whole bottom

Back