Garmin UHD 93SV GT54 vs Hummingbird Helix 9 Chirp MDI G4N

Tight Roll

Hi

My brother recently bought a boat that came with a 5" chartplotter combo unit which is way too small. He is looking for a 9" unit and doesn't want to spend too much. He is horrible with technology so it needs to be as simple as possible to use. The above 2 units are on sale at Cabelas this weekend, the Garmin for $850 and the Hummingbird for $950. The price is right and I have tried to figure out the major differences. Unfortunately, I am running 20 year old stuff (Furuno) so am not up on newer features. Both seem to be older models which explains the blowout prices. Both come with transducers. The Garmin is touch screen, which I would think would make it more difficult for my brother to figure out.

Boat is at Pender Harbour and will be used mainly for fishing.

Any suggestions? Is there a clear winner? Thanks for any help.

If he's a low tech guy, he'll use only a fraction of the features on the current stuff. The most expensive part of any MFD is the outdoor rated screen in its weather resistant housing. As you mention, 5" is way too small, but the price on 9-10" is daunting. So, why not look for something used? Larger screens come into affordable price range and you're not paying for features that he mostly won't use anyway. You'll find used 9" units in the $500 range.

The reviews for the Garmin say it doesn't come with Canadian maps so you'll need to spend additional money if you go that route.

The reviews for the Garmin say it doesn't come with Canadian maps so you'll need to spend additional money if you go that route.
Those maps go on sale at Cabela’s. I bought the same Garmin device, but mine was the 95 version which had the lakes but not the ocean, I think the chip was 165 on sale.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I got the Garmin and did confirm that Canadian charts are not included so that was an extra cost. Will be a nice upgrade from the 5" lowrance.

Back