Found prawn gear -Howe sound

Fixit

found - prawn gear set with a yellow float

I called the number you wrote on the float but it's not your number. Person who picked up had no idea what I was talking about and doesn't have a boat or fish for prawns

I'd try looking up your name but you didn't write that down on your float either

Either way, if it's your setup and can ID the trap or traps and it's distinguishing features you can come pick them up in lions bay

BS written on the float ??? You tried to return it to the owner... but he obviously does not want to be found, so its yours !

curious - same thing for me last year - found one drifting (300' of line in 600' water) called the number and left a message - never had a response - not sure why you'd need to put a false name - unless it was originally set in a closed area?

someone is over fishing obviously and has multiple traps down, keep it. maybe dfo needs to check rec traps and phone people to ensure the traps are legit.

Yeah a little suspicious. Regs require you to write your name on the float and recommend you add a phone number

I might follow up with dfo as there are more similarly labeled traps around too. Last year there were some with "jacky Chan" and other movie stars as names

Pretty sure those are from that big aluminum boat outta Horseshoe Bay area that comes down this way pulling his gear twice a day. There are the same yellow floats all over howe sound. Im betting he's supplying restaurants or ?

IMG_2935.JPG IMG_2934.JPG Good day on the water for a few trap owners

Returned one set to a neighbor up the street in lions bay- they had been missing for 2.5 weeks. Floated from Brunswick beach to Pam rocks

Anyone know Peter Yao? His phone number doesn't work. Both traps were tangled together

And this disgusting navigation hazard of muscles and stainlesstraps that had disintegrated

Pulling lost traps on board is a mess! If they can't be bothered to properly mark their traps I would call it salvage rights.

Yeah I had to do some major clean up after that one... made a call to dfo this morning. Expressed my concern with the owner of the many unnamed yellow floats, floats covered with muscles or Algee (lost/abandoned?) and others with phone numbers that are not in service
Hope to see a big black inflatable in the near future checking up on people

i dont hesitate to pull mis-marked or muscled up floats with no appropriate markings. i have had people that i called very surprised by location and how long they were missing.

Found the owner of the Mussel covered traps, mr. kustermann from Germany, he launches out of sunset marina and lost it a year ago. Oddly enough it was right beside another of his traps he lost 3 weeks ago

So whats the deal? Not enough line, not enough weight? I lost one when I started prawning...kinda thinking she was a little light with not enough float and is now deep in the depths..

normally i think its several things that causes a set to " float away"
not enough rope. - 320 ft in 300ft of water isnt enough. the current will pull your floats. I aim for 400ft
trap weight vs buoy size - a single light weight canadian tire trap and an A3 scotchman is a bad combo. two torpedo shaped corks would provide much less drag.
or if your running a set of 4 traps, an A3 polyform might just be the ticket
also, weight your traps, add a cannon ball, zap strap chain around the perimeter, small anchor, work out plate... something!
dont just bait dump and run. wait til your traps land on bottom... if your too deep youll know when your float is 3/4 under water.

the last few months in howe sound has seen some pirate activities, people emptying traps, then dumping everything in a ball overboard, stealing the whole setup... so in that case it doesnt really matter what your setup is, stolen is stolen.

I go 5lb weight, 15' line, trap, 40' line, trap, 15' line, 10lb weight. And I use 500', usually dropping 250-350'. Haven't had any problems... Yet. I try and keep an eye on them while fishing though.

Back