Fly fishing Rivers 4 catch & release Coho & Spring

Haze

I’m new to the fly fishing scene and I’ve been catching and releasing the pinks throughout the summer and have had an absolute blast. Well the pinks are fading out now but there seems to be other fish showing up, springs and Coho to be precise.
What I am wondering is if I wanted to fly fish for these what weight rod should I be using, and what kind of lures that can be used in a fly fish only zone – should I be fishing?
Any help would be fantastic and if there were links to images of the flies that would be most helpful too, but even the name works I can look them up on my own time.
Thanks in advance for helping me out on this.

I have a 10' 8/9wt. Is that gonna be close enough? Also what kind of flies and sizes work well. Is it like steelhead fishing where the lure has to be right on bottom all the time? Literally bumping their noses before they bite?

yes that weight of rod will be good enough,any brown or purple patterents work. cast it out infront of you, and let the line drift down while letting out some line slowly as its going down, and let it sit there for a bit. Then reel it in, about 8 inches a pull. The fish will attack the fly on the way down river as your letting line out, or while your striping it in up river.

Good luck :)

Roger that, thank you kindly. Can't wait to give it a go! Pinkin was a thrill, and I got some fantastic catch and release photo opps with some beauty's.

Back