Fishing near Galiano

tincan

hey guys, first post as a brand new member but really appreciate the fact that this forum seems to be the most up to date source of info for fishing the coast. I'm over at Galiano Island (near active pass) regularly and have recently rigged my boat for fishing and after living on the east coast for the past 5 years I need to learn how to fish again ;) I haven't fished the area since the early 90's when I was a young kid as it's been really spotty for some time but hopefully turning for the better.

Has anyone heard any recent news in this area? I know one charter company has been pretty successful up at Thrasher Rock but that's a long haul (1.5 hrs) to Gabriola from where I'm at. I was out last weekend and caught a 12# nookie just south of Polier on the outside of Galiano at 110 ft with a green glow teaser & chovie but it was mega sloppy out there so we stuck around for another hour and left after no more bites.

The next morning we hit up the inside of active pass and saw a 20+ hauled up also on a green glow teaser chovie set up which was promising but nothing else after that between the 4 boats out there.

I'd really appreciate any opinions on what where to fish certain tides in the area and what depths and set ups have been working lately. Active pass is mega close and would be most helpful but any info on either Sydney, Polier or even Gabrialo would be appreciated.

active pass- west(south) end on ebb, east(north) end on flood. Watch for RCAs on east side of Galiano(middle and south end around Gossip Island)
also RCAs on west side, around Wallace Island.
Fish along wall below Mt. Galiano. Also up and down past Salamanca Pt. on east side. 100 - 140 depth. I usually fished near bottom.

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

thx for the info knucklebuster. those are pretty much the areas that I've been fishing but with minimal luck... until this past saturday morning when we hooked up with a 27 lb spring while fishing the wall on the inside of active. We caught caught it at 44 feet on a 4 inch cop car spoon 2 hours into the ebb.

There were 3-4 other boats out there which by galiano standards is pretty impressive. One other boat caught a 20 lber while sending his line down for the first time that morning after we'd been fishing for 2 hours to that point. we were a little pissed at first until we hooked up with our slab, and 27 lbs for this area is a slab indeed. will try to get a pic up shortly.

anyone else fishing southern gulf islands this weekend? any luck?

thx for the info knucklebuster. those are pretty much the areas that I've been fishing but with minimal luck... until this past saturday morning when we hooked up with a 27 lb spring while fishing the wall on the inside of active. We caught caught it at 44 feet on a 4 inch cop car spoon 2 hours into the ebb.

There were 3-4 other boats out there which by galiano standards is pretty impressive. One other boat caught a 20 lber while sending his line down for the first time that morning after we'd been fishing for 2 hours to that point. we were a little pissed at first until we hooked up with our slab, and 27 lbs for this area is a slab indeed. will try to get a pic up shortly.

anyone else fishing southern gulf islands this weekend? any luck?
Hey guys im heading iover to Galiano next week and am looking to get out fishing with my father in law and son . does anybody know if anyone does charters or any contacts. thank you

Hey guys im heading iover to Galiano next week and am looking to get out fishing with my father in law and son . does anybody know if anyone does charters or any contacts. thank you

Back