Fishing Lines

M

Mr. Dean

Maxima Ultra Green fan myself, though this year I'm experimenting with a chartreuse coloured line from Berkley.

Many of the stores are 'pushing' a line from overseas called Pro-tac. Apparently it's been around for sometime (2 or 3 seasons) and I was just wondering if anyone here has got any performance input that they could share (?).

This stuff is about 80% cheaper than the stuff I currently string-up with. Is it garbage or what?.

I have a hard time changing over from what I already believe in. I need more than a 'good' price to change my mind when it comes to fishing!!..

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!.

Mr. Dean

Edited by - Mr. Dean on 06/23/2005 11:23:51

if its good enough for 90% of guides its good enough for me... so i stick with my ultragreen for trolling, jigging salmon, and mooching.

tuffline for the hali's obviously.

if your river fishing try berkley iron silk on a level wind- its the best line ive ever used for that application.

Haven't tried it.

Maxima for me!! 25lb on my trolling gear. As strong as any 30 lb that I have tried.

Never buy it as a package. Have your reel spooled at your local tackle shop. Only pay for what you use.

ProTac is handled by a few local wholesalers and Yes it is cheap.
It's also 100% junk</u> and not worth the spool it's wound on.
Stick to Maxima, Ande, Berkley Big Game and you won't go wrong.

that's why there's a warranty!

BREAKER, BREAKER!, Mr. Breaker.

Sounds as if there might be some first-hand knowledge here...(?). If so, could you share a little?.

I have a friend wanting to expeririment w/ it. Some of these wholesalers tell me it is now making rounds in the Charlottes with good success. Fact or Bullcrap?. Also, they admit that early runs from two seasons ago were in fact CRAP. They now claim that they have the 'kinks' worked out stating that it holds up well to abrasions and has little to no memory. PERFECT for the guy (charter) who re-spools several times a season. Also had one outfit offer me a money back guaranty.

At thirty bucks for 2000 yards it's very tempting....But not if you have a paying customer lose his only prize at the end of an outing!. However if they are trying to break into the market after earning a bad rap.................

I'm almost positive that I read a post here last year of SOMEONE using it. Did a search but came up empty handed.

Thanks,
Dean

It's cheap Chinese crap-feel some of it and feel some Maxima-no comparison.
It's thick and stiff and uneven.
"They now claim that they have the 'kinks' worked out stating that it holds up well to abrasions and has little to no memory."
Bee Ess!
Wholesalers always claim that 'some big outfits are using this' because they have to introduce new items/add to their bottom line all the time.I know a few reps they are both full of the same lying bull about new products-neither of them fishes as well(!)
Try asking those wholesalers when was the last time they caught a 26# Spring Salmon on the stuff-you'll hear more lies and evasions.

Phone Bonnie Lee Charters and ask them what they use-Maxima</u> ditto any reputable Charter.
I can't afford Maxima so have gone to Ande which is just as good.

Also are you turning your line inside out before discarding it?I mean reversing the old line so that it's inside and the newer stuff is outside?
Easy to do just need a quiet park and a tree/pole to tie the end to as well as a glove to help spool the line back on.

that's why there's a warranty!

I hear ya Rodbreaker. Crystal clear in fact.

I myself have no interest in this stuff. Just trying to do a little research, that's all. The fellow that made claims about the QCI's has never steered me wrong in the past. Honest, trustworthy kind of Dude. I know that there's a few folks that use this board that work that area and I guess one could say I'm trolling............

As far as the 'neon' Berkley line that I'm experimenting with, it was handed over to me in good faith to go out and fish hard with. So far this year I must admit that I am liking it very much. You can see at a glance exactly where the line is running with or without the sunglasses on. Fish don't seem to care about it - this was one of my main concerns. However if it continues to keep on keeping on, I just might have to convert over from my long loved Maxima after all these years. As for the cost of this stuff, I have no idea. Don't even remember what it was called. I was skeptical at the time he wound up the two reels for me but promised to give it a go. Was maybe thinking that this ProTac line might be the next biggest and bestest out there and that someone else was wowed by it. I HATE being a lab rat.

As for rewinding goes, yes I do. Not so much Mono as Dacron though. I take a seasoned Hali reel and strip off the old down to the unused portion and use this (unused portion) for backing on all of my Salmon reels. I'll wind on about 30 - 50 percent of it's capacity (depending on size of spool) then tie on the Mono and fill er up. Only in a pinch will I reverse it. Usually just strip and recycle. After all there isn't all that much on anyway.

I have a neat rig that I made up for doing this. It consists of two old broken rods cut down and fiberglassed together, blank too blank. Just mount the reels and crank away!!. No motor though....Gloves do come in handy.

Btw. How's the fishing?.
Dean

Back