Fishfinders spooking salmon....again...

Deewar25

Ok, asked here a month ago about this and the theory was quickly dismissed. I just talked to my friend again about it to see what he was trying to get at. Well, his argument is nothing to do with sonar transmitting from the tranducer, but entirely related to additional voltage put off from the fishfinder that ends up giving him a hot charge down the line. Now this I could believe. He claims they checked everything electrical on the boat, and it was the fishfinder that put the charge over the top.

So the argument that trawlers do so well could be offset by the fact that many/most probably use the blackbox. Same goes for many sports fishers.

So I have a request! Any chance that someone could check their voltage on a non-black boxed boat, with fish finder on, and fish finder off. Report the findings to see if you do get a aignificant charge off the finder. I'm still a skeptic, but there is definitely an argument if it gives off .1 or .2.....

TIA
Dave

I check mine regularly its at 5.8 on one side and 6.1 on the other and i had it on all the time during the juan de fuca derby did me just fine.
If it has the plastic scotty downrigger clips that attach to the ball get them off use the stainless steel ones see what it does.

one thing you have to remember with voltage you want it going straight to the cannon ball once you put plastic there it stops the flow.

Here's my own take on this D.
I've checked voltage on each of my rigs with each electonic or electrical device turned on and of in sequence.
I get absolutely no difference or change in voltage.
I run electric Scotty's with lead that is attached to rubber snubbers and then to plastic Scotty clips which isolates the lead from the cable and provides some shock absorbtion for quick stops and starts.
BUT.... I also run an aluminum boat which has a huge surface that acts as a ground plane (which also aides in my VHF reception too).
I am at .61 volts D.C. and I check it every time I change something electical and periodically during the season just in case.
I would suggest that if you are getting a voltage increase with the sounder that you check that you are grounding properly direct to the battery.
I ran my power for my combo (GPS/Sonar) which required one power for the unit and one for the GPS antenae separately as well as the grounds.
You have to also realize that your running cables and balls through what in all intents and purposes are a big battery. Ten pounds of lead in salt water generates its own current as does your stainless cable.
Thats why I isolate even though the spools are plastic, your cables are still coiled up like a big self induced magnetic coil...
Bottom line....you've got an electical problem, it just so happens to be the sounder unit that's causing it.
But what do I know, I just fish...

boc

Bang on the blue thats exactly what I was thinking.

Fair enough boc....I'll have to take out a voltmeter next time I'm on his boat and see if he does in fact have a leak from his fishfinder. In the meantime, I'm going out on my boat on Sunday and don't expect a problem (also run off snubbers and those enviro balls, usually was around 0.65-.7...little hot, but OK).

Anyone have suggestions as to fish in the Peddar Bay area - first trip out I probably won't stray to Beechy and beyond.

Back