Fishermen vs. Wave Energy

• Thread starter Thread starter Pablo2079
  • Start date Start date
P

Pablo2079

Wave Energy Generation Taking Fishing Grounds - Commercial Fishermen in Oregon are concerned.

quote:To date, seven projects are proposed for the Oregon Coast. Each would consist of buoys tethered to the ocean floor that ride ocean swells. Internally, each buoy would have elements that would harness a portion of the swells' energy, convert it to electricity and transmit it to shore. Some proposals call for up to 200 buoys in a single area, up to about 5 square miles. All must be approved by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

ttp://www.theworldlink.com/articles/2007/04/10/breaking/tpn01041007.txt

http://bluenergy.com

I agree it beats burning coal and those fishermen have no idea what they're talking about.

The units will be placed in places of maximum tidal flow to maximise efficiency, places where few people fish ever.

c-turbine2-sml.jpg

I think the wave energy mentioned in the article is different than the current energy. I believe the wave energy is harnessing the ocean swells.

I believe they are testing some of the current energy around Race Rocks.

I'm all for the clean alternative energy development. I wouldn't even mind if they stuck some big wind turbines out in the strait. Seems like that would be pretty reliable energy, and I don't think it would ruin the view either. I'm sure others would disagree.

Back