First Rod - Need Reel

TheTrout

Hello,

Got my first rod. Ugly Stik SPL110066. Now I need a reel to go with it. Not wanting to spend much, say less than $60. Have looked at Shimano Sonora, Okuma Avenger, Pfluger President.

Please offer some advice to a new guy. Especially as relates to the size of the reel. Hoping to have one set up as an all rounder until I get into the sport a bit more.

Thanks

I would go with the president. smooth reels for the price and a size 25 would be a good all around first setup. Have fun and good luck out there

newb question. if a reel says 260/8 does that mean i should not use anything but 8lb test or simply i could put more 6lb or less 10lb?

newb question. if a reel says 260/8 does that mean i should not use anything but 8lb test or simply i could put more 6lb or less 10lb?

That's just a reference for how much line the reel can hold. You can use whatever line you'd like.

I know this isnt the buy/sell section, but I have a diawa reel that would work on your rod. It works great, and has nothing wrong with it. $20

kunni

You in Victoria? I'll give you a Daiwa spinning reel. Works great. Too much gear and never use it.

thanks Dave S. but not in Victoria.

can anyone comment on the weight of the reel for this rod? how many ounces/grams is too much? or what is the range

Back