First Halibut of the year!

First things first.....the halibut slot is stupid should just be a limit for the year no max size. The long liners don't care... In terms of landing, they are tough fish to handle when you don't do it every day. Not easy to measure to the last cm on the side of the boat without a good routine. Tough at the back of a boat with outboards. Good vid, little bit of a gong show but you completed the mission. I have had my share of funny moments with those flat bottom dwellers. There are some tricks to landing them easily that really only come with practice. Anyways rock on and enjoy some white meat.....

First things first.....the halibut slot is stupid should just be a limit for the year no max size. The long liners don't care... In terms of landing, they are tough fish to handle when you don't do it every day. Not easy to measure to the last cm on the side of the boat without a good routine. Tough at the back of a boat with outboards. Good vid, little bit of a gong show but you completed the mission. I have had my share of funny moments with those flat bottom dwellers. There are some tricks to landing them easily that really only come with practice. Anyways rock on and enjoy some white meat.....
Yeah there was definitely some gong show moments that's forsure!

What a bunch of armchair quarterbacks. Everyone needs to get off of the forum and go fishing. Thanks for posting. I have had numerous **** ups, **** shows, and other weirdness while trying to land a fish. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the weekend professional fishing shows do too. They just edit those parts out. Good on ya for posting. Legal fish, didn't suffer, and it ended up in the boat - great job. Plus, I was entertained.
Thank you!

I'm still trying to figure out why the hell they were gaffing or harpooning at the back of the boat. Pretty easy to get a Hali to lay flat at the side of the boat and lay a stick or the harpoon with measurements on it beside the fish
This works until a close to max Hali does the scorpion on you and refuses to lay out. It takes some imagination and judgement to estimate where the tail would be if laid out flat lol.

This works until a close to max Hali does the scorpion on you and refuses to lay out. It takes some imagination and judgement to estimate where the tail would be if laid out flat lol.
Lol yup been there. My one buddy there guessed the fish was 121cm and was bang on. He’s a helicopter pilot and long lines so his distance estimations are pretty great!

i hope lots of ya have had some chances at yer first hali. i have not even been able to try for my first halibut.. ugh !

Back