Fire On Board

adrianna3

While fishing last weekend around Tent Island I discovered smoke coming from my rear lockup. After opening the doors and getting a face full of black, acrid smoke, I turned my battery switch off and killed the kicker. My wife saw some small flames in there, so I hit it with the fire extinguisher. Everything under control. A little scary to say the least.

Upon closer inspection it was the charging line from the kicker to the batteries that had shorted out and melted down. There was a disconnect plug that had most likely gotten some moisture in there and shorted out. It looks like it had been shorting out for some time. After cutting out the bunt wire and taping the ends we made it back safe.

So here are a couple of things to keep in mind for the rest of you guys;

1) Those three pound dry chemical fire extinguishers are almost next to useless. Two quick shots on that wire and it was empty. Please consider something bigger.

2) When you have electrical fires or other damage, the VHF doesn't work to call for help.

3) Please check your wiring on a regular basis to make sure something isn't shorting out, or corroding. I would hate for someone else to learn that lesson the hard way, like I did.

I spent the afternoon out at Tipton's in Lake Cowichan reparing the damage. New battery switch, battery box, oil line, and assorted wire; about $100 damage. I consider myself lucky.

Tight lines.

As most know charter vessels are now licenced by Transport Canada. I still can't figure out why they don't require us to have a handheld VHF and a handheld GPS...add a cell phone to the mix and keeping in touch in cases like this isn't an issue....Mine are always at the ready....in water proof all- weather bags, just in case I end up swimming....

As most know charter vessels are now licenced by Transport Canada. I still can't figure out why they don't require us to have a handheld VHF and a handheld GPS...add a cell phone to the mix and keeping in touch in cases like this isn't an issue....Mine are always at the ready....in water proof all- weather bags, just in case I end up swimming....

Yep, after hearing some stories here, I've already purchased a hand held VHF and installed a stationary GPS to go with my portable. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm with you, we have a handheld VHF and GPS in a ziplock with spare batteries. If I'm bobbing in the ocean I want to be able to TALK to somebody and tell them WHERE I am :D Stuff happens FAST in small boats.....

Back